Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the cost of anything not going up?

When we built our house (1980) payment, taxes, and insurance were about half what taxes are now. Recently got new tax value, and it's north of a million.

You are exactly right on this post and the last!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    The real issue is that when inflation is (near-)zero, it doesn't mean that prices aren't higher than they used to be, which is really what most people complain about.

(The people who expect prices to go "back to normal" are typically the same people who think "reducing the deficit" and "paying off the debt" are the same thing.)

Nellie Stevens doesn’t need a pollinator, that’s probably another reason she is so popular.

Malcolm McLeod--"Causes of inflation..the main contributing factors include the increase in the money supply."

What does this mean? How do you increase the money supply? Who does that; is it just a matter of working more hours and earning it?
    Kindness Every Day......All Day

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    From Intuit/CreditKarma, but lots of other sources:

No mention of greed, but we can all find our own confirmation bias - if we look hard enough.
    Yep it all depends on where you look. From the Economic Policy Institute "Since the trough of the COVID-19 recession in the second quarter of 2020, overall prices in the NFC (non financial corporate) sector have risen at an annualized rate of 6.1%—a pronounced acceleration over the 1.8% price growth that characterized the pre-pandemic business cycle of 2007–2019. Strikingly, over half of this increase (53.9%) can be attributed to fatter profit margins, with labor costs contributing less than 8% of this increase. This is not normal."
    https://www.epi.org/blog/corporate-p...akers-respond/

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Yep it all depends on where you look. From the Economic Policy Institute "Since the trough of the COVID-19 recession in the second quarter of 2020, overall prices in the NFC (non financial corporate) sector have risen at an annualized rate of 6.1%—a pronounced acceleration over the 1.8% price growth that characterized the pre-pandemic business cycle of 2007–2019. Strikingly, over half of this increase (53.9%) can be attributed to fatter profit margins, with labor costs contributing less than 8% of this increase. This is not normal."
    https://www.epi.org/blog/corporate-p...akers-respond/
    Economic Policy Institute... Is it Red affiliated (Right leaning) or Blue affiliated? (Left leaning)
    That might make a difference in its reporting, kind of bias it ...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_Policy_Institute.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
    Malcolm McLeod--"Causes of inflation..the main contributing factors include the increase in the money supply."

What does this mean? How do you increase the money supply? Who does that; is it just a matter of working more hours and earning it?
    There are a few ways the money supply increases. When government issued bonds are redeemed, the money to redeem them either has to come from the taxpayers or the government printing presses. (can you guess which is more likely to occur?) Municipal bonds from states, counties and cities have to be paid off by collecting of taxes. U.S. Government bonds are often paid off by cranking up the printing presses. To much printing press money can put too many dollars chasing a shortage of goods. That can, and most likely will, cause inflation.

If enough people stopped buying potato chips and soda pop, prices would likely drop. That is what sales are about. Retailers don't like products that don't move off the shelves.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Walmart Mart family and shareholders benefit from stock pricing going up.

Walmart Reich.png
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    From Intuit/CreditKarma, but lots of other sources:

No mention of greed, but we can all find our own confirmation bias - if we look hard enough.
    The quote you posted ended with "fossil fuel policies". That's the very definition of corporate greed. I get it. The whole planet has a petroleum based economy. Everyone depends on petroleum. But it's a reality that the people who produce petroleum are motivated by corporate greed. On the one hand, that motivates companies to produce said petroleum. On the other hand, it motivates companies to keep the prices as high as possible. The only reason prices aren't higher than they are now is because petroleum companies know the higher the prices go, the more motivation there is to switch to alternative energy sources. And that would get in the way of their corporate greed.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 03-24-2024 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    On top of this, my brother literally moments ago told me he is looking at dropping his Verizon family plan and going with Comcast Mobile instead. I only pay $45 a month as a member of his family plan. My cost for a single phone with Verizon will more than double as there is no way I will go with Comcast Mobile for a variety of reasons. If a Verizon tower is overloaded MVNOs like Comcast Mobile get lower speeds and I suppose could go all the way to no service if super overloaded. I believe there is also no roaming and no extended access with an MVNO on Verizon. I use extended access for a trip to the Nevada desert every year.

I won't switch to another carrier like T-Mobile because many at work have T-Mobile and report dead spots all over rural areas that Verizon covers just fine.
    Little O.T. but I believe Comcast is building their own mobile infrastructure for at least part of their system that is now using Verizon. Comcast is already providing quite a bit of network capacity to other mobile system providers so they're adding cell site hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Little O.T. but I believe Comcast is building their own mobile infrastructure for at least part of their system that is now using Verizon. Comcast is already providing quite a bit of network capacity to other mobile system providers so they're adding cell site hardware.
    They may decide to do that in more urban areas where they have fiber infrastructure, but just like ATT, VZ and TMo, a lot of the wireless infrastructure "out there" is owned and operated by specialty companies like Crown Castle. It's a "yuge" investment to put discrete hardware for each carrier, so they all lease from the specialty companies when it makes sense to do so. Right here in Doylestown where you and I live, all those 5G wide band nodes throughout town are owned by Crown Castle and are connected physically to VZ's fiber. VZ leases access to the nodes (they got first dibs) but the contract allows for other carriers to lease access if they prefer. (I do not know if any are doing that currently)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Economic Policy Institute... Is it Red affiliated (Right leaning) or Blue affiliated? (Left leaning)
    That might make a difference in its reporting, kind of bias it ...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_Policy_Institute.
    Careful - you'll run afoul of the ban on politics.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Brian, the cost of our virtual friendships with everyone here is free, and priceless.

A bargain at any price

Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Brian, the cost of our virtual friendships with everyone here is free, and priceless.

A bargain at any price

Regards, Rod
    Well, I've always said, "I'm not easy, but I can be had." Brian
    Brian

It's only going to get worse too. A friend told me today he sold 700 steers for slaughter Friday for the highest price he's ever gotten. $1.91 per pound. Wait a few months for that to make it's way to the grocery store. It's a good time to be in the cattle business with corn prices tanking. Prices have increased on and many things and many things they reduces the package quantity to make it look like there was no change. In the end the consumer is almost always the loser.