Thread: Cappucino finish

Cappucino finish

My wife would like me to try to match Schuler Cabinets cappuccino finish on some alder cabinets I am making. I searched for a recipe or finish schedule and wasn't able to find anything. Here is a portion of their description - "Multiple steps in Cappuccino include an ivory stain with a charcoal overlay that is hand applied."

I was hoping to use a dye/seal/glaze/topcoat to minimize covering any grain. However, I think I am going to have to use a pigment stain to get the ivory undertone, but worried about covering the grain too much.

Has anyone here tried to replicate this finish?

Thanks,
    Todd

Blog Entries
    I have not replicated that brand but have used various oil stains to come up with similar looking end results. I use MinWax and Old Masters oil stains. I will often mix MinWax natural or MinWax pre-stain with tinted pickling stain for a first coat. Let dry throughly, then apply a coat of carefully mixed regular stain. Then two coats of lacquer, polly, or varnish. Creating the samples, technique, and recipe often takes several tries. If I am matching stain for hire, I go through the steps on site, on the clock, with the clients involvement. I do not proceed without the clients approval of the colors and processes. Ready made cabinets are notoriously hard to match.

Screen Shot 2024-03-24 at 3.07.06 PM.jpg

I had not visited the Old Masters website an a while. It has improved. They have helpful tutorials and are a source for glaze too.

https://myoldmasters.com/
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-24-2024 at 4:17 PM. Reason: https://myoldmasters.com/
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Laubach View Post
    I searched for a recipe or finish schedule and wasn't able to find anything. Here is a portion of their description - "Multiple steps in Cappuccino include an ivory stain with a charcoal overlay that is hand applied."
    That's the thing with factory finishes...they take a bit of skill and a whole bunch of testing to get close and figure out what finishing schedule is going to get you where you want to be. (Preferably, the new cabinets are not butting right up against the existing, too) I'm guessing that the "ivory stain" sets the overall tone and the hand-applied glazing fills in the grain. This is based on looking at the sample photos on the page you link to. The alder is actually harder because it's a very close grained species which is why the photos they have show a little more "washed out" than the more open grain species...there's not much for the pigments in the glase to grab onto.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    It sure is a good looking finish. I prefer it to the colored varnish that I often see on ready made cabinets.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Thanks for the replies. I figured there would be some trial and error so will start mixing! Thankfully, we are not matching any ready made cabinets with that color, just looking for something close to that finish. North facing kitchen and trying to lighten things up, but still want wood/rustic look.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Laubach View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I figured there would be some trial and error so will start mixing! Thankfully, we are not matching any ready made cabinets with that color, just looking for something close to that finish. North facing kitchen and trying to lighten things up, but still want wood/rustic look.
    Now there's an understatement, but at least you don't have to come up with an "exact" match. Still, be prepared to make a lot of specimens. Keep good notes.

John