Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fine Sawdust

Fine Sawdust

What is an effective product to stop/reduce sawdust from building up on ones eye glasses? I have tries a couple of products in the past but they weren't worth the money.

Than you.

I used to use the CVS pump spray but they took the antistatic out. Check ski goggle and motorcycle helmet cleaners.
    Bill D

I recall reading somewhere that rubbing a dryer sheet on your lenses is supposed to help keep the sawdust off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sweeney View Post
    I recall reading somewhere that rubbing a dryer sheet on your lenses is supposed to help keep the sawdust off.
    I'd double check that it won't scratch the glasses. They tell you not to use tissue because of scratching. I would think dryer sheets would be worse. Maybe not, but I'd verify first.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Maybe you need better dust collection so there isn’t as much dust in the air?

The dust is from routing. There is no effective dust collection for hand held routing. I tried one designed for the router and there was no real difference than not using the device without it.

And if it's getting on your glasses, it's going in your nose. Once in your lungs, the super fines pass through to your blood and end up in your kidneys and liver. That's the serious damage!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    And if it's getting on your glasses, it's going in your nose. Once in your lungs, the super fines pass through to your blood and end up in your kidneys and liver. That's the serious damage!
    That's a new threat to one's liver that I haven't heard of. Not doubting you, it's just new to me. It would be an add on to that Paul Simon song 50 Ways to Lose Your Liver.

I use respiratory protection.

Those would not work in my application. I'm using a spoil board bit. I'm setting up a router sled. I am using a Bosch plunge router and the one designed for it is worthless. I've resigned myself to use all the standard safety equipment, e.g., resp. hearing and hearing protection as I usually do. I am tired of sweeping and vacuuming. The amount of material coming off the wood is astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    Those would not work in my application. I'm using a spoil board bit. I'm setting up a router sled. I am using a Bosch plunge router and the one designed for it is worthless. I've resigned myself to use all the standard safety equipment, e.g., resp. hearing and hearing protection as I usually do. I am tired of sweeping and vacuuming. The amount of material coming off the wood is astounding.
    Tired of sweeping and vacuuming, wrong hobby? Brian
    Brian

I wonder if you could set up something to blow a small stream of air across the lenses, like some scroll saws and jigsaws have to blow dust off the line of cut? I am imagining a little hose running along each earpiece to a Y at the back of your neck, and a tiny battery powered blower clipped to your collar or something.

I've been doing it for 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I wonder if you could set up something to blow a small stream of air across the lenses, like some scroll saws and jigsaws have to blow dust off the line of cut? I am imagining a little hose running along each earpiece to a Y at the back of your neck, and a tiny battery powered blower clipped to your collar or something.
    Sounds like the supplied air helmets by racal and others.
    BillD