Thread: Very targeted TV commercial

Very targeted TV commercial

We use You Tube TV for our TV programming. A few weeks back I was looking for some 0% Phos Copper brazing rods, couldn't find them locally, so bought them from an online plumbing supply at a good price with reasonable shipping. About a week later, there was an ad on TV from that same supply house. I thought it was a little out of the norm and suspected that not everyone was seeing that ad.
    Last week I was Googling for a replacement spray nozzle for the tank sprayer. This morning there was a TV ad for a company that sells nozzles!
    So, now I'm expecting the next thing I go searching for, a TV ad will come on that first calls me by my first name before it shows me the ad.

Coming from a marketing background, it's pretty cool this can be done. Coming from a personal security point of view, it's spooky.

Blog Entries
    Worth going through your iPhone and turning off each application's ability to listen to you through your phone, look through your photos, or be privy to your searches. Same with the phone itself, stop sharing info.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I just read YouTube TV is Google's answer to TV streaming so it is isn't surprising there is a link between your Googling and what you see on TV.

Targeted advertising had made Google many billions of dollars and has severely damaged print media advertising. Remember the Sunday editions of the primary newspapers for major metropolitan areas 30 years ago? Things weighed several times what they weigh today due to all the advertising.

It's a Google tracking cookie. You're the product, after all.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Yeah, I understand how this is happening and not really saying I object to it. I just thought it was interesting.

Blog Entries
    So, now I'm expecting the next thing I go searching for, a TV ad will come on that first calls me by my first name before it shows me the ad.
    I think I will start searching for people wanting to give away millions of dollars…

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I think I will start searching for people wanting to give away millions of dollars…

jtk
    Just search for Nigerian Prince...
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Walmart recently purchased Vizio. What's interesting is that Walmart really didn't buy Vizio to sell televisions directly to customers. Rather, they bought all the eyeballs who watch Vizio televisions. Walmart can now directly market to all those Vizio eyeballs and that's what motivated them to pay $2.3 billion for Vizio.

I forget where i read it but it seems there is some interest in using cameras imbedded into tv's to read the viewers emotion via "Facial emotion recognition" (FER) to help with ad targeting.
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 03-25-2024 at 8:21 PM.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Every time I close laptop, I clear recent memory. Helps stop tracking. Also have Privacy Badger on laptop, which helps.

My daughter started college last fall. Ever since I have been getting a huge number of Top Ramen noodle commercials on youtube. Coincidence????

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Soaper View Post
    I forget where i read it but it seems there is some interest in using cameras imbedded into tv's to read the viewers emotion via "Facial emotion recognition" (FER) to help with ad targeting.
    There has been research about this, but nobody is planning to spy on home viewers with embedded cameras in televisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holbrook View Post
    Yeah, I understand how this is happening and not really saying I object to it. I just thought it was interesting.
    Whatever you do, don't Google "sexy lingerie" unless you are buying it for your wife.