Thread: Moxon Vise on Sawstop - Yes or No? Bench Dogs too?

Moxon Vise on Sawstop - Yes or No? Bench Dogs too?

I really want to make this. My space is limited and I often use my table saw as a work space. This vise will work great for clamping BUT also limited.

I thought about adding two dog holes in the wheel side and then some type of portable top that has other dog holes. It either stays in place via a runner in the miter lot or I add tab that is clamped into the vise. Not sure that makes sense.

I could make a complete portable moxon with dog holes but then I have to store something that big and always clamp it to the saw to use.

Last edited by Patrick Irish; 03-25-2024 at 12:58 PM.

I question the decision to make a table saw a bench. You sure don't want to use a mallet driving down on a wing of the saw, It's a precision machine! I suggest who make a full bench that can roll over the table saw and not touch the saw table if you must use that area for a bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I question the decision to make a table saw a bench. You sure don't want to use a mallet driving down on a wing of the saw, It's a precision machine! I suggest who make a full bench that can roll over the table saw and not touch the saw table if you must use that area for a bench.
    Don't have room for a bench garage like that. Not sure I'll be hammering down either. More to utilize the end of the saw, keep pieces stationery during sanding, drilling etc.

I have a version of this and I clamp it to my assembly table when I need to use it. I just use it to hold pieces I edge plane. Brian
    Brian

I could see that moxom vise adding stress to the wing and possibly causing it to become misaligned over time. Plus you'd be inviting other tools to mar the table top surface. I'm not saying it wouldn't work. It just wouldn't be my approach.

I'd definitely skip the dog holes though. You'd have to make the top pretty thick to take advantage of dog holes. They don't work well in thinner wood. My first bench was 3/4" thick, and besides warping, the dog holes in it were near useless after a short while. They held when brand new. But after a couple of uses, they wore out didn't have enough surface area to hold anything anymore. Plus, in order to make them work with your moxon vise idea, you'd have to raise the moxon vise to the level of the board with the dog holes. So there wouldn't be much point to making them as two separate parts.

Now, I guess you could just build a mini benchtop that was thick enough to have usable dog holes and attach a moxon vise to it. Then just use the Sawstop as the legs for the workbench. But at that point, I'd be tempted to just go ahead and make a small, knock-down workbench that can be disassembled and moved out of the way when not in use. Why risk damaging the Sawstop if you don't have to?

I wouldn't do this for the reasons mentioned above. You're going to need a work bench, I think there's zero way around that. Two solutions that may work is 1) simple top, hinged to the studs in the wall. You can remove the legs/supports and drop it down when not in use or 2) build a Moravian type bench that you can break down when not in use.

I'd say it would work fine; I am not sure the concerns mentioned above re alignment would be problems. BUT its going to be really low in use. I generally use a Moxon to get the workpiece higher up and closer to eye level; you'd be sitting on a folding chair using this.

Quote Originally Posted by James Jayko View Post
    I'd say it would work fine; I am not sure the concerns mentioned above re alignment would be problems. BUT its going to be really low in use. I generally use a Moxon to get the workpiece higher up and closer to eye level; you'd be sitting on a folding chair using this.
    This. I wouldn't want to be bending over to use the Moxon; table saw height is too low.

If you don't have a router installed on the opposite side of the saw, remove the saw's filler table and build a small free standing bench to fill the space. Add vices/dog holes as desired. It could be built on an after market machine base so it could be moved when the saw moves or stand on its own. Being at the same finished height as the saw, it could roll around to serve as additional infeed or outfeed when needed. It will consume no additional floor space. You could even make it cabinet like for some additional tool storage.

No. I would not do this. As well as the reasons above you need to walk around that end of the saw to pick up wood that you have just cut and this vise will be in the way.

You'll be leaning in way too far. It will be awkward and annoying and also making you less stable leaning over an area that has loose wood and a spinning blade.

Blog Entries
    Many of us have grown and evolved through the challenges of limited space. I say make the best use of your space that you can and don't hesitate to change if required.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    No. I would not do this. As well as the reasons above you need to walk around that end of the saw to pick up wood that you have just cut and this vise will be in the way.
    Toward this idea, consider making something you can clamp on top of the saw table that both holds the Moxon vice and also puts it at a comfortable working height. When removed, it could be stored under the "wing" so it doesn't get in the way of using the table saw with larger material being cut. Glenn is absolutely correct that sometimes we have to use the space we have available...the trick is to use it wisely and efficiently so the work is both safe and comfortable. Work height is an important component of that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Patrick, to be correct, that is not a Moxon Vise. That is a double screw end vise. A Moxon Vise sits on top of a bench (or tablesaw) as its purpose is to hold work at a more comfortable height. This double screw vise does not do so. A Moxon vise is generally portable, which has value when working with boards of different lengths.

If you simply want a vise to hold work and you lack a work bench, this build would be understandable. If you have a bench, then I would not do it - having dedicated work areas is important for me.

Regards from Perth

Derek

With your space limitations, maybe you can't have an aircraft carrier to land your planes on. A bench-centric shop may suit you better. Shrink the SS Sawstop and slide it to the right till it's against the wall. Build a modest sized bench and modest sized projects. When you have to break down sheet goods use another type of saw.