Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old Rockwell 10 tablesaw- trunion bolt sheered off in table

It's been a real long time but I'm pretty confident my saw didn't have any graded bolts (neither does my unisaw for that matter). Also hard to believe that a grade 5 bolt used in this capacity would shear the head off. Its inherent shear strength is in the thousands of pounds. Imho, you're going way overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Crosby View Post
    I would think Rockwell engineers made good decisions, but all companies have to build to a price as well. I removed 3 grade 5 bolts - prob original - if so- there you go. Seems like the right bolt. But it was a grade 5 that sheered off. the 4th bolt was (probably replaced by a prev owner) - it had no grade marks, the threads were severely deformed (on all 4) but it held up.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    It's been a real long time but I'm pretty confident my saw didn't have any graded bolts (neither does my unisaw for that matter). Also hard to believe that a grade 5 bolt used in this capacity would shear the head off. Its inherent shear strength is in the thousands of pounds. Imho, you're going way overkill.
    It almost sounds like you've got something against overkill. But yeah it's grade 5, it didnt sheer the head, it sheered mid shaft. Like I said above a previous owner could have replaced it- I donno. But other than 5 bucks I dont see any down side to strong fasteners.