Thread: Tight depth screw adjuster

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tight depth screw adjuster

Hi All,

I picked up Stanley plane today and noticed a couple of things happening that I'm hoping to fix.

1) The depth screw adjustment is really tight when the lever cap is on. With the lever cap loose I can adjust (not one finger but easily with two fingers). I've loosened the lever cap screw quite a bit and I seem to be able to go backwards ok but forward is tight (not sure if point 2 is also causing this)

2) I noticed the frog seemed to be too far forward (was set to the edge of the mouth when I bought it). I've pulled it back a bit (see pic below) but my cutting iron is still almost touching the opposite edge now to the point where if I move the iron forward anymore it'll hit the other edge. I'm getting decent shavings like this but I like having the flexibility of taking a thicker cut. Is this now at the point of user preference or is the frog in the wrong spot?

3) is it possible my chipbreaker is and blade aren’t right? It’s stamped Stanley (no other markings). I’m assuming no cutting irons were ever made longer than others? I should look that up.

Thanks in advance for any help!

IMG_1355.jpgIMG_1356.jpgIMG_1357.jpg
    Last edited by Luis Reyes; 03-27-2024 at 12:44 AM.