Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Festool tracksaw t75 just stopped working mid cut

Blog Entries

Festool tracksaw t75 just stopped working mid cut

Figured it was a heat overload. Compressed air and minutes of waiting.. nothing.

I googled a bit and this seems to just happen and now it needs to be repaired? Anyone with experience that can chime in?
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Blog Entries
    Called team Festool and they said it has a thermal overload but if doesn't turn back on in 15 minutes consider it broken and send it to Indiana to get fixed
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Blog Entries
    Is there any legitimate reason to get this fixed vs getting the makita version? I understand the festool thrusts the blade (via angled gear teeth) in one direction to make a better cut. I like that idea a lot.

But I'm also so over this brand. Thanks for the thermal overload that doesn't protect the motor I guess?

I can literally pull a saw out of my collection that my grandpa used and it still works but I guess a 750 dollar saw can't work for 6 years. I don't even use the thing that often
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Blog Entries
    Called back and they have no average cost of repair.

Insane. If you Google this other people have this problem. Someone was apparently quoted 280 plus 80 in shipping on 2019.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

My ATF55 has hit thermal a few times in the almost 20 years I've owned it. Still works fine.

I take it yours didn't recover and you don't want to have it repaired, then go get the makita. I guess?
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    I guess it's worth repairing even though I am in no way wanting to support such a lame company?

I'm so angry I want to drop them out of spite.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

I have a Domino (700) and never registered it for warranty. It quit 4-5yrs back, so I panicked at the thought of repair cost! I contacted Festool (USA), sent it to them, they repaired and returned. Only cost was my shipping it to them. Symptoms seem a bit familiar, but it was ultimately such a non-issue that I've forgotten.

Sounds like you may not get 'such a deal', but here's hoping...

Good luck with it/decision.

Blog Entries
    Did it the old fashioned way.. muscle and table saw

17115688604573138081421098131729.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Question?

Were you using dust collection on it when it quit?

Per Swenson has a post here somewhere that said Festool track saws are designed so that the air flow from the dust collector cools the motor and without using the dust collector you risk ruining the motor.

It's something I always had in the back of my mind when I made a cut without using DC when I had my TS55EQ.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    I would open it up and inspect the brushes. My little Mafell tracksaw was acting up last year and simply cleaning the brushes solved the issue, one of them was wearing weirdly and so I repaired it. I would start there and just inspect a few things long before buying a new machine.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

It sounds like you've had enough of the Festool. I'd just sell it "as-is/for parts" and let someone else try to fix it and buy a Makita. If you factor in the costs of shipping and repairs for the Festool, you'll probably come out about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    I guess it's worth repairing even though I am in no way wanting to support such a lame company?

I'm so angry I want to drop them out of spite.
    Perfect, I'll send you a private message to take it off your hands. I have no problem replacing a thermal overload switch. Edit; Message sent, I'll pay for shipping.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 03-28-2024 at 1:41 PM.

Easy enough to jump the overload and see if the motor still runs. You should be able to replace the overload with a generic one if you can not source the original make. Klikon is a common make in the USA.
    BilL D

Andrew

It sounds as if it's out of warranty, if so, there is nothing wrong with turning it over to many of the small motor repair shops available.
    The electronic circuitry for a Festool is a little more complicated than some others, but it's not rocket science. Speed and load controllers are pretty simple circuits, and if it is, as Bill suggests, just a simple overload, that's even easier.
    I have the same saw, so I understand your frustration. For that kind of $$$$ it should last long time.
    I'll take second in line behind Richard if you get to the point of launching it into a dumpster.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have never owned a Festool anything. The ones I have used seem WAY over priced for what you get. They seem more like prestige tools than actually superior tools.

For a home shop the Makita seems like a sweet spot for capability vs price. I have a 60" sliding table saw and a 24" cross cut radial arm saw so I seem to only use my track saw for the initial break down of whole sheets. After I can move the pieces around easily I don't have any more use for a track saw.

I would certainly find out how much it will cost to repair your T75. If you do decide to get rid of it out of disgust you will be able to sell a working T75 for a lot more than a non-working one! It sounds like there are some on this thread that are anxious to buy your non-working T75, send it off to be repaired and turn a quick buck from your misfortune.

P.S. I talked myself into buying a Mafell track saw. While it is a fantastic track saw it doesn't do anything (or do anything better) than my neighbors Makita which was less than half the price. My Mafell track saw has a brushless motor. Does the T75 have a brushless motor?
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 03-28-2024 at 8:59 PM.