Thread: Thoughts on a spruce cookie table

Thoughts on a spruce cookie table

20240327_231853.jpg

So I have this Ø24" spruce cookie I just flattened. Debating on how best to finish it...

I'm planning on doing a bowtie or two on the top/bottom over the cracks that are filled with epoxy. Going to round-over the edges and sand the outside and top/bottom faces to 300+

For the table top, should I do table top epoxy? I have some on hand? Would something like linseed oil or wipe on poly be a better bet?

Should I seal it with epoxy and then finish with something else?

Open to ideas.

Just a suggestion but an oil finish would make the grain pop a bit, once fully cured, you could coat with epoxy.

As with most wood, apply equal finish to both sides, equal in moisture resistance.

So far, I've shellacd it and done 2 light epoxy pours to try and fill in all the little checks. It sucked yup about a pint of shellac between both sides. It did seem to swell the grain a bit and it took a couple days of little cracking noises before I got fed up with it and started with epoxy.

I'm thinking if it stops drinking epoxy into the cracks, I'll take the epoxy layer down flush with the wood and then do ~1/16 again of epoxy.

Or maybe some tried and true.

Or maybe some poly.

Hmmm, I'll think about this over a few beverages.

20240403_235404.jpg
    Last edited by Steven Cooper2; 04-05-2024 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Adding Picture

Since you went down the resin route, T&T is not really an option as it's a penetrating oil product in all three formulas. At this point, I'd do a thin flood coat of table top resin, abrade to flatten and then spray the finish of your choice on top before buffing that out to the sheen you prefer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...