Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Weed Control for Rock Beds

I am still not convinced that no fabric is better than having fabric. I have fabric (heavy, not hardware store stuff) on three sides of the house, and besides weed control, it provides some help with drainage. They're all rock beds as the mulch I used before attracts insects (including a termite nest I found once). i still have to pull weeds and use oundup, but nothing is maintenance free. Great point about soil movement, especially around the foundation.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Stan, there clearly is a difference between the typical mass market weed block fabric and geotextile; the latter is much heavier but still permeable by water. The Vevor product I used under my shop was pretty impressive and I have some left over that I'll likely use where I feel I need something like that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I've got one LARGE 20x40 foot bed that's rock in my front and two 20x30 ft at the end of the driveway. all had fabric under the rock. In 5 years, it is WORTHLESS. Too much grass clippings, leaves and other dirt gets into the crevices and weeds appear. ROUNDUP or the equivalent. Or one local guy has found a source for 40% vinegar. And that will kill too. Oh, I moved the rock off of one of the beds at the road last year. WORK, and then put down new fabric. Still have weeds coming back.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Sounds like I just need to plant a Fairytale Forest in my yard. Those seem to be low-maintenance. Might be a problem keeping it watered here on the front range...
    I would think so. My folks lived just North of you in Parker for a number of years. It was so dry they struggled to get anything to grow. They also had to supplement the soil with organic matter to create a hospitable environment for growing plants. They thought they'd set up a compost pile like we had in Michigan. Nope. Too dry and nothing would rot.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I will say that 18 years ago we put in rock beds. At the time I used a heavy professional grade weed blocking fabric under the rocks. I get a few weeds but by and large it's still there, doing a great job of keeping the beds fairly weed free.