Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Saw it on the Internet… Blackburn Tools Shipped

Blog Entries

I Saw it on the Internet… Blackburn Tools Shipped

I need to open a new email account. Currently it seems there is a lot of items coming my way from web sites I vaguely recall visiting. I tend to not give my email freely, somehow they got itk.

This one showed up in an aggregated listing this morning:

BT Saw Shipped.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/handtools/c...ually_shipped/

Looks like the wait time is two years, hopefully it's worth the wait.

I'm getting to the age where while shopping yesterday I passed on the bananas because they were green. I can enjoy a banana that is a little green, but these were fully engulfed in green.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I don't understand the hoopla about these saws. If that plate is simply flat spring steel stock, cut and then run through a teeth cutting machine, there's nothing special about this kit.

you got a tooth cutting machine? You can fill the market!
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

No.
    I took a saw making class with Tom Calisto a couple of years ago. He brought his machine along. Teeth were cut in a couple of minutes, then sharpened for rip cuts in five minutes. Alternatively, one could cut the teeth by hand, which I suppose is also doable by anyone with the drive to make their own saws.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    No.
    I took a saw making class with Tom Calisto a couple of years ago. He brought his machine along. Teeth were cut in a couple of minutes, then sharpened for rip cuts in five minutes. Alternatively, one could cut the teeth by hand, which I suppose is also doable by anyone with the drive to make their own saws.
    Yea, I've done it. It's not exactly my idea of 'fun'... FWIW, the kits were not unreasonably priced, I suspect that was part of it. Dealing with Isaac, however...
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

No.
    Not everyone who can, actually has the time, machinery or inclination to make something that they can purchase ready made.
    I enjoy making useful things like tools but it's just not always practical.
    These are the definition of a niche product for woodworkers, I don't get the hoopla either.

I've cut my own saw teeth before. While it's not the most fun I've ever had, it's definitely less difficult than waiting two years. And I'm a pretty patient person.

As for the brass spine and nuts, yeah, I'd have to order them. So I'd probably be waiting two years either way.

Oh, and I LOVE green bananas. I always get a little disappointed when they start turning yellow. I also love orange and lemon peels, so yeah, I've got weird tastes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
    I've cut my own saw teeth before. While it's not the most fun I've ever had, it's definitely less difficult than waiting two years. And I'm a pretty patient person.

As for the brass spine and nuts, yeah, I'd have to order them. So I'd probably be waiting two years either way.

Oh, and I LOVE green bananas. I always get a little disappointed when they start turning yellow. I also love orange and lemon peels, so yeah, I've got weird tastes.
    I've cut my own teeth on a couple of saws with a file. It's not a lot of fun, but it can save some money and an old saw plate.

Jimmy, have you ever tried a kumquat? They are like tiny pear shaped oranges that are eaten skin and all. I enjoy them when I can. I had a tree when living in California. I have a tree now that has had a couple of crops but isn't doing real well in my greenhouse. Will likely plant it outdoors this year and see if it does any better.

Give them a Google.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

No.
    Come up to DuBois, I have the machine and carrier bars.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    Come up to DuBois, I have the machine and carrier bars.
    That's tempting. Can your machine do 4 or 4 1/2 TPI?
    A frame saw would be nice to add to the shop.

Let me know when you are in Pittsburgh, we could try to invade David Weaver's shop.

That's tempting. Can your machine do 4 or 4 1/2 TPI?
    A frame saw would be nice to add to the shop.

Let me know when you are in Pittsburgh, we could try to invade David Weaver's shop.
    I was there yesterday! Actually in David's neighborhood (wife was shopping at Ross Park Mall).

I am not sure what all carrier bars I have, and I'll have to dig them out. I bought complete outfit nearly 20 years ago, re-toothed a couple of saws, but I didn't have time to fully learn it all!

Not sure what is going on with Blackburn. He always seems to be behind. Then I saw where he was working with Union Manufacturing on getting their planes made, but now there is no mention of him. They are making a carbide tool for scrapers with his involvement. Not sure if they had a falling out.

I don't understand the hoopla about these saws. If that plate is simply flat spring steel stock, cut and then run through a teeth cutting machine, there's nothing special about this kit.
    For me, it’s more the milled brass back that I’m after. I can get the stock, but I cannot slit a .02 slot in it. Know someone who can?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Baney View Post
    For me, it’s more the milled brass back that I’m after. I can get the stock, but I cannot slit a .02 slot in it. Know someone who can?
    I believe in the old days the back was folded. Nowadays I don't know who does that.

Tom Calisto makes his own backs and cuts the slits. I think he sells them, as well as other hardware. You'd have to reach out to him and find out.

Alternatively, recycling and old backsaw is another option.

I believe in the old days the back was folded. Nowadays I don't know who does that.

Tom Calisto makes his own backs and cuts the slits. I think he sells them, as well as other hardware. You'd have to reach out to him and find out.

Alternatively, recycling and old backsaw is another option.
    I've seen laminated backs, but have not heard of any that have used them. I have equipment to both slot or fold, but I do not have any employees with experience with those processes.