Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Graule ZS135 Radial Arm Saw voltage question

Blog Entries
    Get it!

Turns out the woodshop a few blocks from me has a 90's version and the owner was telling me about it. He did say he quit using keyed blades because the motor stopped so suddenly that it would unspin the blade nut I think? It's been a while since we've talked about it. But he just uses a standard round hole in the blades.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Blog Entries
    These are just a standard 30mm arbor with a left hand bolt.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Brian, thank you for letting me tag along on your motor order! Just installed the new three phase motor and wow what a difference! Snaps on instantly, cutting like butter on a 5X 8” timber. The single phase motor was very weak on any 8/4 hardwoods. The other nice thing is this one has a brake.
    my saw originally came from Mahogany Masterpieces back in the 80s. The Europeans do not do well with single phase motors. The ones I have overheat badly.

IMG_8867.jpg

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Joe! Glad to hear it!

I think the original single phase motors in this case are actually a 3ph motor with a capacitor on one leg, so it cuts the HP down a bunch.

I wonder if that is the case with my Hema Bandsaw Brian? It also originally came from Mahogany Masterpieces with a single phase motor from Europe. It is slow starting and tends to run hot also.

Blog Entries
    Certainly could be the case.

When I received my super surfacer from the previous owner, someone had rigged up the 3ph motor with a start and run capacitor and over stamped the name plate with a 1. I could not figure out how they originally wired it, so ultimately replaced it with a newer 3ph motor since it was an easy swap.

It seems this was a common treatment.