Thread: an old folks stroll

an old folks stroll

using logic trace to trace out this diagram and cut out the parts using different wood species to give the project a natural color and a beautiful soft look

https://stankern.vids.io/videos/7090...ac1f9/a-stroll
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stan kern; 03-29-2024 at 8:07 PM. Reason: photos

Your technique is basically the same that I use to make my Christmas ornaments. When I order engravers plastic I get adhesive backed plastic for the parts on top so they stick to the base when I start assembling.
    It's kind of an intarsia technique without any sanding of the edges.

Tell me once more how you break up the parts for cutting.

Nice work!

I trace out each part so I know its going to fit, end up with double lines and sometimes I have to edit a bit if I get sloppy
    then on the backing board I scribe cut the whole project (a low power cut just marks it , I call that a scribe cut) and this marking then helps to place the small pieces back
    like a puzzle template
    Its a lot of careful work and some pieces I need to cut again ( screw it up), then I apply a thinned out glue to the hole backing board ,still can see the low power cut line and start the puzzle
    (putting the pieces on , fitting them)
    The CO2 laser makes this easy work and yes this is an intarsia project but large and different woods

intarsia like

Keith
    I have had good luck doing these projects using the laser to cut the parts you can see I have done a few

Blog Entries
    Those all look really good. Can this type of work be done on a slightly curved surface? Putting lettering on a mandolin back is a project that has stalled on my work bench.
    Best Regards, Maurice

curved back

yes you can apply something like this to a curved back, just use a thin material like a veneer and find a way to hold down each piece possibly use a contact cement
    and apply pressure.
    Also you could use vinyl see attached

Blog Entries
    Thank you Stan Kern. I want he letters to be wood or some other nice inlay material like bone or shell. The idea is a nod to Old Time and Country music stars like Jimmie Rodgers, Ernest Tubb, and Hank Willams.

Screen Shot 2024-04-02 at 8.08.36 AM.jpeg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 04-02-2024 at 9:51 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

hmm thats not what I had in mind , then i guess lay it in and sand off

Blog Entries
    I enjoy your posts Mr. Kern. Following the High-Tech forum is a helpful encouragement with my hopes to get digitalized. I am working on my design with laser cut vinyl letters from the hobby store.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 04-02-2024 at 8:24 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I use a roland vinyl cutter/plotter, it does an excellent job of cutting detailed dxf files (designs or letters)