Thread: Mass Loaded Vinyl for vibration noise reduction

Mass Loaded Vinyl for vibration noise reduction

Just heard about this from a car guy next door. I see it has been mentioned to make a sandwich of drywall on the walls. His came with an adhesive back. Peel off the wax paper and stick it onto the metal. Roll it on with a j-roller for best effect.
    Would make a great way to stop sheet metal guards from vibrating and making noises. Stuff like belt guards and inside machine cabinets. Mostly easier to use then duct mastic, grafting seal, or roofing tar
    Bill D
    https://www.amazon.com/Foneso-Vibrat...03&sr=8-3&th=1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-29-2024 at 9:53 PM.

Using construction adhesive to glue 1/4" osb to the sheet metal does the same thing, only cheaper.

Blog Entries
    I lined all of the sheetmetal machines in my shop with this. It made a very minor difference.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I think it works best hanging loose but you can’t always make that work . It’s expensive, I’ve bought it from places that tried to sell
    too many hideous colors of cove base and saved money. Quiet pipes in bathrooms is now a much wanted feature . Wrap and tape.
    Things change ,there was a time when people wanted loud pipes so guests would know they had “inside plumbing “, but now almost
    everyone has it.