Thread: How do Japanese joiners get that crazy cool contrast grain?

How do Japanese joiners get that crazy cool contrast grain?

I'm tooling up to make 8 coffee table replicas of a table my dad made that I just really like. The tops are a solid plank 1.5 x 16 x 48 but I came across some figured cherry I liked so much I bought 4 big sticks about 2 x 8 x 12 so I'll have to glue them up - ideally- with a center contrast wood down the seam. I am trying to learn/source how Japanese woodwrights use amazingly consistent often diagonal grains ////// for great contrast effects, I thought if I could find a diagonal grain I could oppose them into a >>>>>> pattern down the center of table - so that's my quest -

Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 1.14.40 PM.jpg

Where can I find a grain pattern like the center of this photo?

It's crazy cool. I want to try it.

Thanks
    Caleb
    New Orleans
    Last edited by Caleb Crosby; 03-30-2024 at 2:23 PM.

Clear vertical grain douglas fir is one option. Zebrawood and wenge are others.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    Thanks for that John - I'll start looking that way - cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    and thanks again, after looking at those woods online- especially the wenge is exactly what I was hoping to find.

The grain in the center of your picture is end grain, not long grain.

Are you in the city of New Orleans, or in the suburbs. I'm from New Orleans.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    The grain in the center of your picture is end grain, not long grain.

Are you in the city of New Orleans, or in the suburbs. I'm from New Orleans.

Mike
    Hey Mike, I'm in Gentilly on Mandeville. I had wondered about end grain, I guess I could do that but will try to avoid. I'm gonna go to Riverside Lumber to look for some Wenge. I'd like to chat sometime about where you find your wood around here. I drive out of town a lot. Grilling some ersters come on by!

Caleb