Thread: 1900s Shop in Norway in Use Today, Video

1900s Shop in Norway in Use Today, Video

There is a video of a 1900s style workshop in use today in Norway. All of his tools that I could see are hand powered, including two drill presses, wood and metal lathes, large sharpening wheel, scroll saw, stationary belt sander, etc., and a blacksmithing area. Much of it is treadle powered.

Some of his hand powered tools are made from somewhat modern parts combined with treadle set-ups that are old. Such is the case with his bench belt sander and his equivalent of a Dremel tool.

It is an interesting video, and I don't know if it is intended to be a demonstration shop or what. His anvil is from the 1700s. His metal lathe is from around 1890.

To find it go to YouTube, and type in "Vintage Treasures, a 1900s workshop tour in the heart of Norway."

At any rate a very interesting video.

Regards,

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    There is a video of a 1900s style workshop in use today in Norway. All of his tools that I could see are hand powered, including two drill presses, wood and metal lathes, large sharpening wheel, scroll saw, stationary belt sander, etc., and a blacksmithing area. Much of it is treadle powered.

Some of his hand powered tools are made from somewhat modern parts combined with treadle set-ups that are old. Such is the case with his bench belt sander and his equivalent of a Dremel tool.

It is an interesting video, and I don't know if it is intended to be a demonstration shop or what. His anvil is from the 1700s. His metal lathe is from around 1890.

To find it go to YouTube, and type in "Vintage Treasures, a 1900s workshop tour in the heart of Norway."

At any rate a very interesting video.

Regards,

Stew
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlDijTENE5w

I think they meant to say 19th Century or should have said early 1900s.. 1900s was the 20th Century. Some of us even remember the 20th Century.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 03-30-2024 at 5:03 PM.

Very interesting. Thanks for the link.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    That was fun to see! I inherited great grandpas hand crank, foot treadle, and line shaft tools. I restored a few of them. Several of them were completely worn out. My hope was to create a shop like that. I ended up selling most of the big items. The gentleman who bought the tools had plans to set up a shop like that.
    I know a few first generation Norwegian immigrants, they are lovely folks. Stories about the Norwegian resistance to the nazi occupation are among my favorite books.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Roy Underhill would feel right at home, in that shop..
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use