Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re-Visit Cap Iron Video

1. Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    I would guess the reason was "group think". If you read the articles and forum posts from before 2012 you see that the general consensus was that chipbreakers were there to strengthen the iron and "prevent chatter". That, despite the history of chipbreaker use since the 1750s with tapered irons and Japanese planes as well. Literature, like Nicholson's book, explaining the purpose of the chipbreaker. All ignored.
    One possible reason modern plane makers keep making their planes with chipbreakers is that they are just copying the Bailey or Bedrock design, but w no deep understanding of how the plane works. They focus on telling us how flat the sole is, how square the sides are, how thick the iron is, how heavy the plane is. Kind of selling you the notions that "bigger is better", "precision is better", etc., but the effort invested where it doesn't matter as much.

I once asked Ron Hock about the chipbreaker function in mitigating tearout. I don't have an exact recollection of his answer, but my impression was that the chipbreaker wasn't viewed as a tearout mitigation device.

Rafael

P.s. I know there's a Bailey patent where chipbreakers, thin irons and chatter are mentioned. However the patent was for an extra bend in the shape of the chipbreaker, a really small modification. It's debatable that its actually of any effect. The chipbreaker was already part of the design of the plane, he wasn't patenting the chipbreaker.
    The instructions that came with Record hand planes from essentially time immemorial until sold to Irwin (maybe they still do), specifically mentioned (at some length, not tangentially) moving the cap iron closer to the edge to mitigate tearout, as did every edition of Planecraft ever printed (something like nine or ten editions from the 1930s through 1980s). You will not find an edition of Planecraft that doesn't have the table that successively reduces the cap iron distance by half starting at a sixteenth down to a 64th, then "as close as you can get it". 16th, 32nd, 64th, 128th (implied.)

Other British sources published essentially the same guidelines, with math that got you down to around a distance of 1/128" - the imperial equivalent to the metric distance often recommended as a setting.

Anybody who could read had this information available to them from at least the 1930s onward. Nobody alive today "rediscovered" a bloody damned thing.

There was also a long thread on the Knots forum that easily predates the 2012 date often thrown around when the cap iron comes up for discussion in relationship to online woodworking forums - for those folks for whom internet history "matters" (hint: it doesn't).

All that said, working with an extremely close cap iron setting is still craftsman's choice. How you get to a finished surface is your business. And you'll have a hard time putting a No. 4 on certain curved surfaces so you'd better have a plan for them. You might wake up one morning sick of straight, flat, and grim rooms full of Shaker.
    Last edited by Charles Edward; 04-02-2024 at 6:36 AM.

Blog Entries
    Anybody who could read had this information available to them from at least the 1930s onward. Nobody alive today "rediscovered" a bloody damned thing.
    An occasionally repeated saying, "everything old is new again."

So many things that were once standard operating procedure have been lost through the turmoils of time. Things like chip breaker setting, secondary bevels, knife walls, back bevels and cambered blades were likely first used in previous centuries. Now someone brings it up to a new generation and ends up being given credit or taking credit for the discovery or "rediscovery."

My recollection is the last time this subject came up, someone quoted a publication from years before the 1930s of an old craftsman telling the apprentice, "set the cap iron until just a glint of the blade shows ahead of it."

Couldn't find that post but did find this in a September, 2018 post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I have used the double iron to control tear out since 1973. I learned about the technique from 18th and 19th century sources because, at that time, the craft was in a sort of dark age and I did not read contemporary material. I was quite shocked when I later found that many thought it did not work.

You can learn to place the cap iron by experience. Placement depends on the thickness of your shavings and the nature of the material. If you are having trouble with tear out, the cap iron is too far back. If the cap iron is too close, the plane will be hard to push and the surface will be kind of scuffed up the way it looks from a high angle plane.

As I read in 1973:

"Double iron'd planes ... far exceeding any tooth planes or uprights whatsoever for cross-grained or curled stuff" Carruthers 1767

"best general remedy for curling or cross-grained stuff" James Smith 1816
    "Everything old is new again."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The most important thing is to know what questions to ask. When people stop asking or looking for answers, the old information becomes forgotten.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    The most important thing is to know what questions to ask. When people stop asking or looking for answers, the old information becomes forgotten.
    Modernization often displaces those who have been doing a particular craft all of their life.

Then things like wars and electricity come along and change everything.

Education of the work force also went through changes.

Apprenticeships and trade schools are not what they were many years ago. When I was young in California, Community Colleges were essentially free. Students did have to buy their own books and other materials. They often had classes tailored to train students for work requirements of local businesses. A friend learned small appliance repair and ended up with his own repair shop in a very nice San Francisco neighborhood. My first time through led me to a job in the printing industry. My second time through had me finish my degree and work in various computer related jobs. By my last year the governor felt Community Colleges were just bastions of lazy slackers and felt there should be significant fees to be blessed with a college education.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    The title of the film is "the influence of cap iron on hand plane", so not surfacing machine.

I don't think there is a secondary bevel on the chipbreaker of those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-E9LqxJ5IY
    I trust the description of the purpose of the study and video stated by Bill Tindall. He and Steve Elliot were the ones who actually tracked these professors and spoke with them.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads.../#post-1079094

About the site linked at the top of this thread, seems to be owned by Wilbur Pan, he wasn't part of the group of people involved in contacting the professors or translating the video or doing any of the analysis. Whatever subtitles he put on the video, they are his.

If anything, if you want to read reviews of these professors studies, a better place to do it is in Steve's site: https://planetuning.infillplane.com/...ker_study.html. The site is dated and some of the links are broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
    why don't modern plane makers take advantage of that knowledge and make cap irons with steeper angles at the tip?
    Some of us do!
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    I trust the description of the purpose of the study and video stated by Bill Tindall. He and Steve Elliot were the ones who actually tracked these professors and spoke with them.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads.../#post-1079094

About the site linked at the top of this thread, seems to be owned by Wilbur Pan, he wasn't part of the group of people involved in contacting the professors or translating the video or doing any of the analysis. Whatever subtitles he put on the video, they are his.

If anything, if you want to read reviews of these professors studies, a better place to do it is in Steve's site: https://planetuning.infillplane.com/...ker_study.html. The site is dated and some of the links are broken.

I see what you're saying, but Mr. Kato does say this in his introduction linked above:

"Japanese middle school curricula have technology as one of the required subjects, which includes woodworking. A hand plane is used as a teaching tool for making some small wooden products such as a book shelf. This video was made for the purpose of helping persons, including middle school students, understand wood cutting principles so that they can master woodworking technology efficiently."

What's different is that, as near as I can tell, the surfacer chipbreakers have a single bevel at maybe 35˚, while a hand plane chipbreaker gets a small secondary bevel in order to get the steep angle recommended in the video.

IMG_4893.jpegIMG_4894.jpeg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
    That's an interesting video. But I wonder, if those findings are correct, and I have no reason to believe they aren't, when why don't modern plane makers take advantage of that knowledge and make cap irons with steeper angles at the tip? Every cap iron I've seen seems to come to a sharp point instead of a blunt edge.
    This question has been asked across many human endeavors.

Sometimes it is a simple matter of the maker not being an avid user of the product they make.

Sometimes it is a strong belief that they are already doing it the same way they have been doing it for years. This also leads to a feeling of having to admit they were wrong if they change a design.

It might also be a matter of cost incurred in changing how something is currently made.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    "Japanese middle school curricula have technology as one of the required subjects, which includes woodworking. A hand plane is used as a teaching tool for making some small wooden products such as a book shelf. This video was made for the purpose of helping persons, including middle school students, understand wood cutting principles so that they can master woodworking technology efficiently."

What's different is that, as near as I can tell, the surfacer chipbreakers have a single bevel at maybe 35˚, while a hand plane chipbreaker gets a small secondary bevel in order to get the steep angle recommended in the video.
    My reading of the introduction is that the paper was prompted by the appearance of super surfacers in the market. The paper does not say that it's a study of the Japanese hand plane cutting action.

Their experimental setup seems closer to that of a supersurfacer than a hand plane. What they told Bill Tindall is that their work was funded by and was in support of the development of planing machines- Super Surfacers..

The angles and shapes in the video do not map one to one with hand planes, so their numbers are not meant to be taken as gospel. Western chipbreakers are rounded (well, actually, I don't know enough about Japanese chipbreakers to know if they're rounded), as shown here: https://planetuning.infillplane.com/...pbreakers.html

This has been brought up in the past in the forums, I've chatted with David Weaver about it. He didn't find 80 degrees useful, he favors 50 degrees or something near that. However, Warren has told us before that he uses an 80 degree bevel in his chipbreakers. So, go figure.

OK then, I think we've covered that.

Cheers, Cameron

Just got this interesting article about a three-blade design. I haven't read the patent yet. Looks like a regular bevel down blade with another blade reversed on top, making a secondary bevel, then a chip-breaker like top blade.
    Looks interesting.

https://www.timetestedtools.net/2024...-cutting-iron/

Blog Entries
    Oops!

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 04-03-2024 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Made an error

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    Just got this interesting article about a three-blade design. I haven't read the patent yet. Looks like a regular bevel down blade with another blade reversed on top, making a secondary bevel, then a chip-breaker like top blade.
    Looks interesting.

https://www.timetestedtools.net/2024...-cutting-iron/
    I saw that patent a while ago. I even chatted w someone who found one in the wild, if I remember correctly.

A number of issues comes to mind. First, the thin steel plate that would have been used as the cutter. Would it have been easy to manufacture? Would a thin plate have warped when quenched?

Second, the patent author mentions using the best quality of saw-plate or other fine sheet steel. I don't know how saw plates were hardened, but they were not hardened to the same level as plane irons, they were soft enough to be filed.

Another issue with the patent is his statement that In the general manufacture of planes by the old method the [body of the iron] is made of expensive steel. Plane irons were made by laminating a small piece to crucible steel to a body of wrought iron, not steel. The benefit of his three part assembly is questionable.

Blog Entries
    The benefit of his three part assembly is questionable.
    Before "editing" my reply on the idea of a triple iron, my comment was if it was such a great idea it would have likely been adopted by other plane makers.

jtk