Thread: Fine tuning plane weight

Smile Fine tuning plane weight

I've read several Lie Nielsen plane owners say that having a heavy plane is an advantage, as in having the momentum of a heavier plane help push the plane thru the cut.

Here's a modified Millers Falls to make it heavier, notice the small weights precisely for tuning the balance, and the high tech hot glue adhesive.

plane weights 3.jpgplane weights 2.jpgplane weights 1.jpg

btw if you want to try this at home be sure to clean the dead bait of of the fishing weights otherwise this idea really stinks.

Happy April 1

and no, i didn't try to plane with it, and no planes were harmed.
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 04-01-2024 at 10:59 AM.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

All of my planes work perfectly as is. But they could work more perfectly. You've inspired me. I'm thinking maybe I could build an infill style planer, but with molten lead.

You’ve got me thinking. A hot air balloon for my Lie Nielsen #7, or maybe some bungee cords attached to the ceiling, should lessen the weight and make it easier to move. I’ll rig something up and report back…

Blog Entries
    Wow, when my #5 seems too light, there is a #5-1/2 or a #6 on the shelf waiting to stand in.

Then if the #8 seems a bit heavy, there is a #7 or a #6 on the shelf ready to take over the job.

Bungee cords? We ain't got no bungee cords.
    We don't need no bungee cords.
    We ain’t gots to show you no stinking bungee cords!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

LOL. Had me going there...

I actually have plans in my head for making a heavy plane. I just can't quite match old adze or maybe broadaxe marks on old beams when replacing structural beams in old houses that I work on. My thinking is that if I had a heavy plane I could come close by grinding the camber on a blade to match. I bought a 3-1/2" wide plane iron off ebay for it, but my to-do list is very long, so it's off the back burners for now.

Restoring these old houses is a much forgery as it is anything else.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Harbor Freight sells stick on tire weights... Just saying.

Thanks for the humor. Just had to "click" on the thread - you know, see what the neighbors are doing.

Make a trip up to Kenton, OH...and see IF this is still there..
    Kenton Road Trip, Braod Ax.jpg
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I have plenty of adzes and axes, but am much better with a plane than an axe.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I have plenty of adzes and axes, but am much better with a plane than an axe.
    Maybe a drawknife like tool with a curvature to the blade would be a solution.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Soaper View Post
    I've read several Lie Nielsen plane owners say that having a heavy plane is an advantage, as in having the momentum of a heavier plane help push the plane thru the cut.

Here's a modified Millers Falls to make it heavier, notice the small weights precisely for tuning the balance, and the high tech hot glue adhesive.

plane weights 3.jpgplane weights 2.jpgplane weights 1.jpg

btw if you want to try this at home be sure to clean the dead bait of of the fishing weights otherwise this idea really stinks.

Happy April 1

and no, i didn't try to plane with it, and no planes were harmed.

I went in the other direction and have been experimenting with helium bags. They are difficult to keep on the plane without glue.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I went in the other direction and have been experimenting with helium bags. They are difficult to keep on the plane without glue.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Maybe Rob will send you some of this for evaluation?
    Heavy-Duty Duct Tape - Lee Valley Tools
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland