Thread: Bishop Adjustable Back Saws

Bishop Adjustable Back Saws

For those that are interested, here is a picture of my Bishop adjustable Model 10 Backsaws. Originally patented by Wuest Jan. 9, 1906 (#809485), it covered a saw plate filed crosscut on one side and rip on the other with an adjustable back. On the toe end is another set of "teeth". These were called a rack and were not sharpened. They were to keep the adjustable back from moving at the toe. These saws came in a variety of sizes. The shorter saws have finer pitch.
    The back can be adjusted so that it regulates the depth of cut. A simple lever releases the handle and the blade assembly slides out.
    Disston also made a similar model. Patented by Smith Jan. 27, 1914 (1085503). It was basically the same as the Bishop, except the toe end did not use the rack teeth.

From top to bottom:
    16" L x 4" W 8PPI rip, 12PPI X-Cut
    12" L x 3 1/8" W 10PPI Rip, 14PPI X-Cut
    12" L x 3 1/4" W 10PPI Rip, 14PPI X-Cut (Marked E.C. Simmonds)

Bishop Saw Group.jpg

The center saw has a handle I made out of walnut. The saw I bought had a broken handle so I got it cheap. I made the handle so it would fit my small hands.
    Here is a picture of the broken handle so you can see some of the weak points.

Bishop Saw Handles.jpg

Box #2, different saw .JPG
    In use...bar is used as a depth stop..
    Shop Saturday, Busy corner.JPG
    Usually it just hangs around..

The handle does not rotate on the Bar...the saw plate can be moved up or down, as needed.

The teeth out on the end of the saw plate, are never sharpened....they are NOT supposed to be used to saw with....they are there to provide "Grip" to the folded end of the bar. Stanley came along and added a bolt for their copy of this saw...

I'd have to go and measure mine....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    My favorite feature of the Bishop #10 is its being able to be set to depth for repetitive cuts.

Bishop Saw.jpg

Here the pin board for a set of lovetails is being cut.

Bishop #10 in Use.jpg

Lovetails are dovetails with the pins cut to be hearts.

For some reason the last image isn't loading so here is a link to the post about making some lovetails > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?135061

They give a nice touch to cabinets, drawers and boxes. An added bonus is the ladies seem to be attracted to them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Looking on E-bay I see prices typically between $80 to $120 with one closer to $200.
    If buying one, know what you plan on doing with it first. If cutting dovetails look for the shorter ones with finer teeth.
    Many have some rust. Look for cracked handles.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    Looking on E-bay I see prices typically between $80 to $120 with one closer to $200.
    Compared to the common price for mine when it was purchased and what they are going for now, they have appreciated in value better than many stocks & bonds.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Compared to the common price for mine when it was purchased and what they are going for now, they have appreciated in value better than many stocks & bonds.

jtk
    Something to think about when you decide to start downsizing. Maybe insurance too.

Hmmmm, mine was a dollar bill...when I bought it....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use