Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to take off table saw blade - NEED HELP

Trying to take off table saw blade - NEED HELP

There appears to be a notch keeping me from removing the blade. It seems like it should be easy but I’m having trouble. Thanks in advance for you help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a wrench slipped and deformed the shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Looks like a wrench slipped and deformed the shaft.
    That wouldn’t keep the blade from coming off.

I’m actually a little confused at what we’re looking at. What saw is this?

It does look like something has deformed the round part of the arbor beside the blade. If so, a little touch-up with a file should clean it up.
    Is there supposed to a washer or special nut used to fasten the blade? It looks like perhaps the nut was run down and jammed against the shoulder?

I wonder if originally there was a washer under the blade, so that the blade was spaced out over that shoulder? That's the way many circular and chopsaws are put together.

John

Blog Entries
    The flats on the threaded portion appear to have been machined to be used for a wrench. They are too smooth to have been done by accident. The threaded shaft probably has matching flats on the side we cannot see.

Please tell us the make and model number of the saw.

The groove at the bottom of the threads looks to be intentional and a machined groove. The larger diameter just below it, I don't think is deformation. The diameter is to uniform in my opinion.

Have you had the blade off this before? Looks like that whole threaded shaft assembly is intended to hold the blade on? Bottom diameter is larger than the hole in the saw blade, not sure how you would have installed the blade over this? Is it possible the flats on the threaded portion of the shaft are there intentionally to allow you to use a wrench to remove the complete threaded shaft assembly? Like others asked, what saw is it, parts blow up would tell you.

Brian
    Brian

This is what I am looking at as deformation.
    Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 1.35.15 PM.png

Could that be what is left from an aluminum spacer/adapter to fit a blade to the arbor size. I have had to use those on my old circular saw.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I’m with John there should be a washer blade another washer and nut.my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    This is what I am looking at as deformation.
    Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 1.35.15 PM.png
    Did you put this blade on the machine? What brand and model is the saw? Thanks. Brian
    Brian

That part circled in the picture is what I consider a deformation that could be cleaned up with a little filing. I hate to say this but it does look somewhat deliberate and I hope it wasn't done to perhaps better center the blade. Anyway, a closer examination may reveal if this is what is binding the blade.

If it makes any difference - that blade looks like it's a 7 1/4" Plywood blade.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    We need a view of the other side of the blade and arbor as well as the nut.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Thanks all - I treated it as a deformation as suggested and trimmed it down with a Dremel tool. Old blade is off and new one is on and looks like it’s tight with no shimmy.