Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All new Table Saws may be flesh sensing soon

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    My main issue is that the blade stop tech doesn't make anyone "safer". it only minimizes the injuries after being unsafe. You can't legislate against unsafe behavior, you'd have to cover the entire world in bubble wrap.
    People are dumb. That isn't going away.

One cuts finger off. One makes decent scratch. But...the one that doesn't amputate the finger is safer. This seems obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by James Jayko View Post
    People are dumb. That isn't going away.

One cuts finger off. One makes decent scratch. But...the one that doesn't amputate the finger is safer. This seems obvious.

My point is that some will figure out a way to injure themselves regardless of all the safety measures.
    It may not be simply cutting a finger.

My point is that some will figure out a way to injure themselves regardless of all the safety measures.
    It may not be simply cutting a finger.
    So let's just abandon any prevention method possible. Got it. 'social darwinism' at it's finest.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

What I don't get, is why the tool companies would be against it. It's a legitimate excuse to raise the prices of your products. Sure, they'll cost more to make, but the profit margins will increase as the overall costs increase, and you'll get more profit from them. That's exactly why the auto industry no longer makes affordable cars. It's not because they can't. It's because it's more profitable to make more expensive cars. And it's not like they'll cost so much more that it'll have a big impact on sales. I guess it might for the first year or two while customers adjust. But it's not expensive to implement technology. And it's not like table saws are impulse buys for most people. Most people who buy a new table saw do so because they need a new table saw. Not because they were buying 2x4's and saw a table saw at a good price and decided it was too cheap to pass up.

Plus, according to Sawstop, there are 65,000 table saw accidents in the US every year. And the average cost of an amputated finger is over $130,000. Which, I'm guessing, means whatever it costs to implement this new technology into their saws will most likely be offset, and then some, by the reduced number of lawsuits they face. Even if they win every lawsuit brough against the, you're still paying a ton of lawyer's fees to defend yourself against people who probably don't have any assets to recover those fees from after you've won. So it's probably cheaper for them to settle in most instances.

Yeah, I get that no one likes being told what they can and can't do. And by human nature, we tend to have a visceral reaction to that. But perhaps instead of reacting emotionally, the tool companies should slow down and think about this logically over the long term. It benefits them and puts more money into their pockets.

That makes sense to me, improving table saw safety on new machines is a good idea.

In my opinion, much of this is brought about by users who remove existing safety devices, or fail to use safe operating methods.

One negative improvement on modern saws has been the change from the multi function rip fence such as the Delta Unifence, or Euro 4 function fence in favour of the Biessemeyer style fence.

That change increased the hazard of ripping solid wood, and narrow strips

Regards, Rod

I sure don't want to pay extra for it, I just keep my hands out of the blade, just like every other tool in my shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    In my opinion, much of this is brought about by users who remove existing safety devices, or fail to use safe operating methods.
    Regards, Rod
    I agree and would add to it, "compounded by their naivety that being aware of hazards and their brain will keep them safe".
    To paraphrase a comment you posted somewhere, sometime ago, "Just because you've done something unsafe 1000 times without incident doesn't make it safe".

You guys can joke but this could have the effect of mandating other "safety" features that might concern you.

I'm personally not really worried or concerned. I think having AIM or similar tech on new tools is fine. I certainly don't want to see a single company (SawStop) be the sole beneficiary of the ruling.

My main issue is that the blade stop tech doesn't make anyone "safer". it only minimizes the injuries after being unsafe. You can't legislate against unsafe behavior, you'd have to cover the entire world in bubble wrap.
    They are joking about the constant posting of this subject and each time it appears it goes for days, even weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    They are joking about the constant posting of this subject and each time it appears it goes for days, even weeks.
    With repect to all the members, I will say;
    This topic will be around for a long time as more details emerge. There are many facets of this decision that are not immediately know, not to mention the unintended consequences.
    For those that don't like these safety mandate discussions, there are plenty of other great discussion at SMC to participate in. No need to be grumpy in this thread.

.......... there are plenty of other great discussion at SMC to participate in. No need to be grumpy in this thread...........
    Not grumpy. Amused at the frequency with which this topic is resurrected. Each iteration contains a new pretentious spin. I like to tune in - like watching Airplane again, and picking up a new sight gag.

Carry on.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

EXCUSE ME!!!! I did not offer any opinion concerning the technology, only a link to a news article concerning the POSSIBLE requirement for NEW saws sold. Why all the the discord on a site that is supposed to be congenial?

I practice social distancing with my saw blade

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post

That is one way to keep it safe
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Haha, good plan Warren.

Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Daugird View Post
    I sure don't want to pay extra for it, I just keep my hands out of the blade, just like every other tool in my shop!
    Fortunately the choice will be yours, there’s no retrofit provision in the regulations being considered.

Regards, Rod