Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lap Tops

So you're dead set on Windows 7. OK. But I have to ask why. That's like saying, "I'm not putting locks on my doors because I don't like that newfangled key technology". Yeah, MAJOR security risk.

Pat it works fine for me. Ive said before I keep my info drive offline. If computer people are honest with you they will tell you negatives about 10 and 11 though that is not my reason why. 7 runs smooth and been on it long and dont need bells and whistles. My SCM stuff is old and some likely 60 years old. It will eat some new machinery, my truck is 50 years old and cars half that. I like old stuff that works. Im likely cynical about some more modern stuff and seen and heard enough times im not nuts to be that way. Maybe a bit eccentric but enough people are. If that is not enough i need XP to run a Tech 2 scanner for the wally wagons so there is one more older thing I do need.

And what happens when you connect your "info drive" to the computer to read or update it? Any malware that got onto your computer in the meantime now has access to that drive's files.
    I've been running W10 and 11 since they both were officially released and like every OS they do have bumps in the road but the improved internals and security measures plus being updated make them a better choice - and for the non-get-into-the-guts user don't really look all that different from W7. Change is rarely popular and I do see where you are coming from but it wouldn't be my path.

so I did pick it up and there braving crap city traffic. What a sespool that has turned into. When I got there the lady told me it wont take Win 7. I call that ambush. I bought it thinking maybe my tech is smarter. Turned out it can take 7.

It had 11 in it tech could not get 7 in put in 10 and ive been setting it up and dont care for it. Its not about change, its about it was all needed. My truck my machines work great. I dont 2024. I saw a friend pay over 100k for a truck and have grief 14k work almost new. How about 12,000 vehicles stolen in Toronto 2023, computer bullshit, ill stick with a key, old school works fine.

My info drive is off line another computer. I put photos from research on this online on a memory stick and then transfer. Ive had zero issues other than its slower and a bit inconvenient. It works. Ive heard negatives about both newer systems and there are people who say 7 was the best operating system ever, service pack one. I dont really care if they are right or not 7 is simple clean and stable and it works.

Right now with 10 set up I look at photos and the forward and back button dont work. Either its a setting or its a deficiency in 10. Pisses me off either way ive gone backwards but likely its a setting at least hope so or this will be sold and ill start again with someone who knows what they are talking about on a lap top and what the specs are max for taking 7. Three people didnt. I dont know yet because its not my thing and from tons of years on computers ive seen many times one tech doesnt get it and another does so if they dont know it all how can I know.

Can you explain to me why I open up photos in photos on 10 and the forward and back side buttons on the logitech anywhere 3 buttons do not work., waste of time to go for the arrows. This is simple and at the moment ive gone backwards thanks to 10. Bill do you know where a setting is for that and if I can make these buttons work.

thanks w

For a lark I just tried what I used to use those old white microsoft keyboards. I switched to the Kumarus at one point. These old ones are smoother and faster. I want to put this in a suit case and that is the only negative its too wide to fit as its full size so will have to stay with one of the smaller keyboards or get the sawzall out or edge sander.

I also held onto Win 7 a long time, After most of the software I needed to run would only work on Ten I gave up and now have Windows 10 Pro on all my machines. I rarely buy new computers since I know what I am doing, most are used. My latest was a built up professional grade 6 year old gaming computer with a new 27 inch or so LG monitor, 32 Mb memory and more $400 for all and its so fast.

I just turned 80 and if I can do it…. so can you. PS I started with computers in 1979.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I dont need to, you did. If and when I do there will be a box for what I need. If and when i need a Martin or Altendorf instead of the SCM then there will be one.

There will be an XP box for a Tech 2 scanner when I get to it because thats whats needed to run it. Same as people I know that do industrial design and use what they had to run what they use. Next thing you will be telling me I need a new truck cause I dont have Air bags or ABS. Truck has Windows 1.0, they roll up by hand.

1 I have two things to find out now that is if photos in this windows 10 if you can use the forward and back button on the side of the mouse, I dont see how to do it, if so they went backwards, if so so much for your advancing.

2 Then what is the highest computer level that accepts Windows 7. I put the specs above and the techs had it and screwed up.

If you have a legal copy of Windows 7 you can put on any computer if you know what you are doing. Your tech did not have 7 so he just put on 10 as that's all he had. If a Tech 2 scanner is a GM OB2 scanner it will run on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.
    Last edited by Bill George; 04-09-2024 at 7:48 AM.

Get the cheapest Latitude 3000 series here: https://www.dell.com/en-us/dfh/lp/outlet

It will do everything you want. Latitudes are a business model laptop and don't come with all of the consumer bloatware.

Most of the outlet inventory are returns that have never been unboxed (marked as "refurbished"). Full warranty is included.

You can also find scratch-and-dent inventory which is a great deal.

When a customer returns an unboxed laptop, Dell can't legally sell it as new anymore.

If you really want to down grade to Window 7 you can.

thanks ill check with the guy for the tech 2 scanner he teaches robotics and likely up on it he past told me XP service pack 3 was what was needed. Ive bought discs for both XP and 7 past and might still have them with other stuff in storage. Both the Tech and the store have emailed back and said they will take care of it. Based on what I read 10 does not have photo viewer. I use a particular mouse for that forward and back feature. It works on documents and other just not on the photo folders.

You mean I can not view photos in Windows 10 like this??? I just use my Right mouse key to scroll through the rest... as needed.

Photo.JPG

there are two buttons on the side of the mouse and that is why i use that model. In 7 you open your photos and clic those buttons and back from the side buttons on the mouse. It works on documents and screen movement and you tube instead of going for an arrow to forward and back or in some cases the scroll button.

It still works on some stuff but no more on the photos, there is no photo viewer that i can find. That is gone as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 04-09-2024 at 12:56 PM.

Windows 10 has an app called Photos that takes the place of the photo viewer. Clicking on a photo file should cause it to run.

Photos, isn't the same as the photo viewer, so there will be a bit of learning to do with the new devil.

If you start with a clean install of W10 there are a few things you have to do to get to use the old viewer and it is described in this, and other, links. Since you aren't a techie, if you want to do this you can get your techie guy to do it if you don't like Photos. With my regular mouse, you can go back or ahead by left clicking with the cursor past the center of the screen on one side or the other to determine the direction of scroll. You don't have to click on the Arrows that appear on the edge of the picture to scroll.

https://www.howtogeek.com/225844/how...on-windows-10/

You might look in Settings, Devices Mouse (or what they call it). There may be a setting on the mouse screen to assign your mouse buttons of interest to a function, if not, then look under the Additional Mouse Options on the right side of the screen. Another thing would be to see if the manufacturer of the mouse has a different driver than perhaps the generic one that may have been installed with Windows.
    Last edited by Bill Howatt; 04-10-2024 at 9:35 AM. Reason: Arrows, not errors

Hi

thanks bill will pass it on to tech guy and yeah im not. going out to trim trees now I do lots of stuff but computers past I put time and sometimes worked and sometimes it just new I was not a guy and made it tough for me. I did a walk about yesterday trying to find some of what you said. I have a logitech mouse on each computer and they are not cheap this model but I love them they do more than I need and can run up to three computers at once not looked into that feature. All good. Would have been simple if left the same but will pass on your info, thanks.

Warren if you just double click on a photo the app will come up.