Thread: Bluetooth Sound Delay

Bluetooth Sound Delay

I have to use head phones due to hearing loss when we watch TV together. Either the TV or my Bluetooth headphones have a delay in the speech from the TV. Is there a fix for this?

Nope, kind of inherent in the technology. Some systems have less delay than others, but it's always there.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I assume your sound is in sync when using the TV's own speakers(?).
    Are you using the TV's built-in Bluetooth? If so, there can be a setting in the TV audio/Bluetooth setup options to adjust the delay.
    If the TV has a game mode turn it on or off.
    This apparently is a fairly common problem and there are lots of suggestions on how to attack it but some are not dead simple.
    Bluetooth 5 is supposed to be much better but it requires both transmitter and receiver to be version 5.
    A solution could be to buy an optical (from your TV) to Bluetooth transmitter and pair to it. Not overly expensive but read the reviews to see it the model you are looking at is known to work for that problem.
    Last edited by Bill Howatt; 04-03-2024 at 9:50 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    I have to use head phones due to hearing loss when we watch TV together. Either the TV or my Bluetooth headphones have a delay in the speech from the TV. Is there a fix for this?
    Not necessarily the bluetooth. Many sports program do not have the audio well synchronized with the video. If they show the announcers while they are talking you can see the words they are saying before you actually hear them. I've not noticed that effect when watching most regular shows or the news.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    They have some pretty minimal delay setups but, none are totally free from the echo effect you are experiencing. Once you get to 20ms of delay you will experience echo between the sources. We solve this by using headphones for LOML with the volume high enough to override the non-BT speakers. It is a bit of a juggling act but not too tough to get used to. If the sound is delayed enough to make the video and audio appear to be out of sync, that is too much delay and something else is wrong. In its defense, BT was never intended for the many uses we make of it today. The protocol just isn't all that smart.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If I bluetooth in my car there is a 1-2 second delay which is annoying if im sitting there watching video(not driving) but if I plug in to android auto it is synced. I know alot of people use devices with the tv and dont have this problem so there must be a way.