Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need to hire planing at New Orleans shop - two 18" wide walnut planks w/snipe

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    The dw735 is a great machine and I still have mine in the back room (just in case I guess). Imho, machines are for dimensioning and prepping material only (talking real wood here). But they do excel at this. Also, I prefer a hand planed finish but there's nothing wrong with sandpaper if that's your thing (many of my hand planed pieces get a fine sanding or two). 150 sounds... rough but I've never used Rubio so can't comment there.
    Rubio is a two coat thing mostly and it only bonds chemically with wood fibers so they suggest a rough finish to give the stuff more material it can latch onto. I'm using for the first time. Just like the dull sheen and ease of application. I'd only use it on nice looking wood that does not need help.

Just wonder why you'd fine sand after hand planing, are you meaning after some shellac or sealer goes on? Also really wondering how hand planing differs mechanically from a 3 blade rotating head that creates a finer surface. I'd think the higher speed would make a cleaner cut - it must be the angle. I'll have that 735 running soon and will run some tests - thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Crosby View Post
    Hi Mike, Pls let me know if you can point me to a shop w/ belt sander in town. I'm not a pro but I sand Poplar to 220 but figured nicer hard woods I finish with a plane- never sand.
    Although I was born in New Orleans and lived there for the early part of my life, I've been gone for a lot of years. Almost any major woodworking shop will have a wide belt sander. Commercial wide belt sanders could be 48 inches wide.

Those boards are only 18 inches wide. Even a hobby woodworker could have a drum sander wider than that. Contact the local woodworking club and see if anyone can help.

A lot of people run fairly coarse sandpaper in a drum sander but you could buy some fine sandpaper, such as 220 grit, and put that on the drum if you don't want the marks from coarse sandpaper. If you use 220 grit, take very light passes.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Hey Caleb, I'm familiar with the product but never actually used or handled it. Take care to dry your application rags properly to avoid any potential combustion...

Not all folks appreciate the scalloped look (under certain light) that a hand planed finish produces. This is especially true of larger surfaces, such as table tops

On machine finishes, aside from the industrial equipment that some serious veneer manufacturers use, there does not exist a machine that can duplicate what a hand plane does. They don't take long wispy ribbons from your stock but instead, short 'scallops" of wood at a very fast pace. Once your 735 is running, you'll understand. And I feel the dw735 produces a nice surface (relatively speaking) when the knives are sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Crosby View Post
    Rubio is a two coat thing mostly and it only bonds chemically with wood fibers so they suggest a rough finish to give the stuff more material it can latch onto. I'm using for the first time. Just like the dull sheen and ease of application. I'd only use it on nice looking wood that does not need help.

Just wonder why you'd fine sand after hand planing, are you meaning after some shellac or sealer goes on? Also really wondering how hand planing differs mechanically from a 3 blade rotating head that creates a finer surface. I'd think the higher speed would make a cleaner cut - it must be the angle. I'll have that 735 running soon and will run some tests - thanks.
    Last edited by John Kananis; 04-04-2024 at 8:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    On machine finishes, aside from the industrial equipment that some serious veneer manufacturers use, there does not exist a machine that can duplicate what a hand plane does. rp.
    Actually there are fixed knife planers from Japan that do just that, but they are few and far between in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Actually there are fixed knife planers from Japan that do just that, but they are few and far between in this country.
    I'm picturing them Samurai style like Toshiro Mifune journeying on horseback with some very sharp knives in the saddle bag.

Screen Shot 2024-04-05 at 4.45.36 AM.png

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    oh man appreciate that, the angel planer. going to research that over wk end, cheers