Thread: animation desk drawing surface initial angle adjustment - linear actuator usage??

animation desk drawing surface initial angle adjustment - linear actuator usage??

Howdy,
    I'm getting close to being finished with a young ladies animation desk and would like some recommendations good quality linear actuators. The usage will be to move the drawing surface from flat to either the desired drawing angle or up in order to allow for the user to get an edge in order to move it into position manually.

I'm in Texas and the client is in California so the priorities are as follows:
    1) high quality - I cannot go to the site to fix something.
    2) long life.
    3) standard 110ac outlet powered.
    4) endpoint switches.
    5) strength to support the weight (this is on an angle and should not be extreme).

I'm thinking that the best way to approach this is to move the drawing surface up to the point of being able to place it manually. At the point of disengagement from the linear actuator the drawing surface would be held in place by the mechanical latches under it. You simply pull the drawing surface to its' fully extended position and that releases both latches. You can then lower the drawing surface back down to the linear actuator which would then be able to lower it to flat.

I am open to any suggestions on the solution that you might have or any problems you see in what I am describing.

a1_AnimationDesk.jpga2_AnimationDesk.jpga3_AnimationDesk.jpga4_AnimationDesk.jpg

thanks,
    david

I'm not following your design. But it seems like you're inventing a complex electricity-based solution for a problem which designers solved for decades without electricity. Look up drawing table hardware, or drafting table designs.

Hi Jamie,
    My client is a young small stature female. I've done many searches including the ones you listed and have not found a solution that seems right. If you take her strength into consideration it rules out quite a few options. The main issue to be overcome is raising the rear part of the drawing surface from the flat position. There is nothing on the topside to take hold of in order to lift the rear of the drawing surface. No matter what solution I come up with, it will have to be an upward force applied to the rear portion of the bottom of the drawing surface. I've seen many ideas, but they either seemed like they might require too much strength or the long term reliability seemed questionable to me.

I guess, I'm really just looking for recommendations on good linear actuators that fellow creeker's have used.

thanks for the response,
    david

Blog Entries
    I don't have experience with motorized linear actuators but have made a few manual ones based on threaded rods.
    Photo on 4-5-24 at 6.19 PM.jpg
    This was part of a "turn the crank to raise the music stand" project. It was made for a piano teacher. It was too slow and I modified the design. The stand that she said yes to is based on adjustable shelf pins.

From the web
    https://www.google.com/search?client...12226755671223

Screen Shot 2024-04-05 at 6.06.44 PM.png
    more from the web...
    https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/d...ion-furniture/

Screen Shot 2024-04-05 at 7.07.02 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 04-05-2024 at 8:15 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice