Thread: Grizzly Lathe G0694

Grizzly Lathe G0694

A quick question. The specs say 3 hp Delta single-phase frequency drive provides 3-phase variable speed control with single-phase power supply (VFD). Is the input power 220 single phase or is it three phase? I'm watching one in an auction. Thanks, Jim

Input is 220V single phase. Most lathes use a VFD so that a 3-phase motor can be used to give you variable speed control.

Thanks, That's what I thought but their explanation was a little hazy. Jim

That statement makes sense, but this one doesn't make sense to me. The VFD saves you money by increasing the efficiency of the motor and decreasing electricity use. It reduces wear and tear on the motor which extends the life of the lathe.

It probably is technically correct since the 3-phase has a real rotating field and doesn't need a big start-up push from the start winding to get it going like a single-phase motor. Could argue a soft-start feature in a VFD would reduce wear and tear but I don't really know if it does and am skeptical.
    Statement is meaningless for the size of motor on lathes we use and ignores the extra expense to buy and power consumed by the VFD itself to make the 3-phase.

The bidding ended on it yesterday and I don't know what is went for. The last bid I saw was about $460. It was at a school and looked brand new. The only way one knows what something sells for on the site is to bid on it. The last time I did that I had to make an 8 hour trip one way to pickup a horizontal bandsaw I was bidding on. I underbid it and won. One never knows. Jim

Don't worry about not getting a school machine. It may have looked okay, but my experience is that it had to be abused in some way. Kids can beat the heck out of machinery.

I picked up my Jet 1646 at a school auction. It was a 8 hour trip each way but it was worth it. The lathe was in very good condition. Not quite brand new but close. It hadn't been abused or damaged in anyway. They had two up for auction. I didn't bid on the one with the Nova chuck because I already had all of the chucks and stuff. I got it for $1100 and sold my Jet 1236 for almost enough to pay for the new lathe. I think that it ended up costing me about $500 total with fuel lodging and stuff. It's the perfect size for me and I have been very happy with it. If I need something bigger my friend has a 24 inch Oneway. I've picked up three items through the Public Surplus auction site and have been very please with my purchases. One of the items was a Powermatic 2800 drill press. It was in very good shape except for the missing the depth scale which cost me $25 to replace. It works just fine. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Baldwin View Post
    I picked up my Jet 1646 at a school auction. It was a 8 hour trip each way but it was worth it. The lathe was in very good condition. Not quite brand new but close. It hadn't been abused or damaged in anyway. They had two up for auction. I didn't bid on the one with the Nova chuck because I already had all of the chucks and stuff. I got it for $1100 and sold my Jet 1236 for almost enough to pay for the new lathe. I think that it ended up costing me about $500 total with fuel lodging and stuff. It's the perfect size for me and I have been very happy with it. If I need something bigger my friend has a 24 inch Oneway. I've picked up three items through the Public Surplus auction site and have been very please with my purchases. One of the items was a Powermatic 2800 drill press. It was in very good shape except for the missing the depth scale which cost me $25 to replace. It works just fine. Jim
    I was trying to make you feel better.