Thread: Craftsman Shaper Cutters ?

Question Craftsman Shaper Cutters ?

I was given three sets, a couple of smaller three cutter ones (2 1/2" ?) and one with a single cutter (4 1/2" ?) . I have a 3hp shaper, so I might use the smaller ones . I guess the smaller ones were for a Sears 1/2" spindle shaper and the larger a RAS. Has anyone used these type ? Are they worth trying.

Blog Entries
    If your cutters look like these, they are actually molding cutters for use on a table saw or Radial Arm Saw.
    oNSLE.jpgs-l1600.jpg
    I wouldn't recommend using them on a 3 Hp shaper due to the speed. I have used these cutters on my TS, but they are really scary to run. I've seen them run on a RAS and they are even more scary.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I agree with Lee, a small shaper may have too high a spindle speed even on the lowest speed.

Those cutters also have very high knife projection, they’re best left on the wall with other old tools.

Regards, Rod

If you have the directions read them . Then let us interpret what….anything means . I think that used correctly they are safe , any
    thing that is not clear will be answered here.

crudely made, mickey mouse, fine for what they cost. Past done enough with them till I had better. More of a question of if you know how to be safe with them..

They are not true and you will need to do more sanding. Have used them on some better quality stuff and no one would really know but the sanding was a bother compared to using a corrugated say beaded face frame that was so clean that I sanded it because it was too clean and to be sure of finish adhesion. One of the old guys would thumbed his nose at them and gave me his Omas stuff. Other one used them and corrugated and serrated.

They stink on a table saw but work. I left one head for a table saw others bored to 1 1/4 ".

Most small shapers have one speed maybe two. For example the Poitras has 7,000 rpm from memory. RPM for those heads max is 5,200. Easy to regrind and change shapes. Only keep them for just in case. I never did a scrape test but likely they are not true. On corrugated you can slide up and down, on serrated you cal slide in and out. On these you get what you get and likely a bit of play.

P2220750A.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 04-06-2024 at 9:38 PM.

Yes, they are Craftsman after all.. Craftsman woodworking tools were somewhat available and they went on sale at a good price. Calling the bevel grind crude is an understatement. But Craftsman certainly weren't first choice for woodworking. They had a few gems in hand tools,the casing bar and the chalk line.To this day I regret not buying a 1 1/2 hp Stanley router , instead of a Craftsman Super Router package. The folly of youth, chuckle.

I couldn't find anywhere a maximum rpm . They were all bored 3/4", from the factory. The small 3 wing heads were bushed to 1/2", that's why I thought the previous owner had used them on a small Sears shaper. The larger single cutter head was bushed to 5/8", suggesting a RAS or a TS. My youngest son was given them to pass on to me. So I don't have any of their history. I never did get a shaper/jointer guard for my DeWalt .

I can see where a ways from an edge a machining a bead would be useful . And the tilt of the RAS could add some detail.

Thanks guys.

forget the radial arm saw and they also stink on a table saw. 3,500 RPM is not enough they will pound.