Thread: Aliexpress, yay or nay?

Aliexpress, yay or nay?

For anyone that’s used aliexpress, is it a legit good deal or a scam site?
    I’ve been watching a chainsaw chain grinder on Amazon for the better part of 6 months, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. The last week or so the price has gone up roughly $100, to almost $550. Google searching has found that’s about the going rate for this grinder, if not a bit more from some places.

I stumbled on the exact one, model number listed and everything for $350. I’m tempted to buy it now but hesitant. Up until now I’ve only heard about aliexpress but not really paid attention to the buzz, I’ve never had a reason to visit the site. I just can’t remember if everything I’ve heard was good or bad.
    So for anyone that’s used it, opinions?

Works okay but shipping times can be long. Communication is not good. By the time I realize the item had not arrived the 30 day limit to complain to the credit card company has passed. Some are real cheap shipping others are fulfilled from inside the USA.
    Bill D

It's a legit site. I've used it maybe a dozen times for [relatively] low dollar items; total purchase price was typically $50-$75 each time.
    As Bill said, shipping times cane be long (weeks) and communication is almost, but not quite, non-existent.

One item on an order didn't arrive for about 8 weeks (I expected it to take at least 4 weeks).
    I contacted them and they refunded the price (about $20), then the item showed up a week later.
    A lot of the items is the same stuff sold on Amazon or other sites..identical (as you noticed), but often on AliExpress it's cheaper, just a longer wait.

Banggood is similar.. legit site, just sketchy communication and long ship times.
    But I've always gotten my orders from Banggood also. No "problems" as long as your patient.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I stay away from buying direct from Chinese companies. Very concerned about quality and problem resolution. Brian
    Brian

I have been using a Harbor Freight chain saw sharpener. If it is set up right it does a real good job

Depends on the item.

For a couple of my 3d printers there are some parts that can go bad and its nice to have a spare on hand. I had the same issue a few times and everytime Id use my spare and order another locally for $25. I found genuine on aliexpress for $3-5 dollars with a limit of 1 per purchase. With aliexpress there will be 100 of the same item listed seperately unlike how amazon groups them and allows you to choose buyer. I loaded up on 6 of them. They are also great for small electronic parts and Harbor freightish tools.

I wouldnt buy anything big ticket. not for lack of trust in getting it but for example I noticed they had NWS pliers for very low price so I bought a few. Well it turns out they are SMN pliers quality was good though and they were 10 a pair or so, so not worth worrying about

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I wouldnt buy anything big ticket. not for lack of trust in getting it but for example I noticed they had NWS pliers for very low price so I bought a few. Well it turns out they are SMN pliers quality was good though and they were 10 a pair or so, so not worth worrying about
    That’s one of my concerns. The description states Oregon and the pics clearly show an Oregon logo, but I’m leary that I’d receive something different. I’m still mulling it over

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I have been using a Harbor Freight chain saw sharpener. If it is set up right it does a real good job
    Ditto, if your a pro and sharping 100s per month but most DIY people do not need a $200-400 sharpener.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Ditto, if your a pro and sharping 100s per month but most DIY people do not need a $200-400 sharpener.
    Double Ditto.

I tis like ebay or most of Amazon. It is not selling the stuff. It is just a add clearing house with some help on transferring money around. So it depends on the seller. Some are good and honest. Some are incompetent and some are crooks. headquarters tries to keep things honest.
    Once a companies reputation gets too bad they rename themselves and start over. Look for companies that have been around for a while with good reviews. Harbor fright invents new brand names, fort eh same old stuff, about every five years and drops the old names.
    Bill D