Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw Purge

Saw Purge

At a company I used to work for one of the workers there gave me a bunch of old saws that his father left in the garage. Seems his father sharpened saws and after his father passed, he had no interest in them. There are also saws I collected. Decided to lay them out and determine which to keep, sell, give away, or (gasp) recycle. So there are about 54 saws on my bench. This isn't all of them, but most. The ones on the right (Last picture) I will keep or sell. The rest need to be sorted. I will look at the handles to see if broke. See if the saw plate is straight. How much rust. Can a logo be seen? Those kinds of things. At a glance it looks like at least half are going to be recycled.
    If any interest, let me know.

Saw Purge Left.jpgSaw Purge Middle.jpgSaw Purge Right.jpg
    Last edited by Eric Brown; 04-05-2024 at 10:38 AM. Reason: picture order

I have taken 2 loads of "Excess" saws down to the local Lutheran's Thrift Store....Just dropped them off.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Just did a quick sort. Have 16 with bent blades and broken handles. Have 7 with bend blades and good handles. Have about 7 straight with good handles. The rest look pretty good or have something unusual.
    Will probably remove the hardware from the 16 and dispose of them. The ones with good handles will be removed and the blades disposed of.
    I do not want to give rust saws with bent blades and broken handles to anyone who doesn't know better.

Perhaps with Matt Cianci's saw sharpening book coming out, practice blades?

So, if anybody wants practice blades, I will remove the broken handles and clean the majority of the rust off. Let me know.

Looks like you've got quite a collection there! Lots of junk, but lots of nice saws as well. I'd probably wind up keeping about half of those, so my wife is thankful I'm not in your shoes.

Blog Entries
    The hardware (saw nuts) often come in handy. There are often others here who need a one two or a few. The handles are also often desired by others by often the holes will not line up even with saws of the same style and maker. It can be a pain trying to drill or punch new holes in a saw plate but can be done.

Looks like it will keep you busy an out of trouble for a few days.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Can’t believe you aren’t painting them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    That might be a good option for some of the lesser saws that are bent. Maybe a high school or local college art class would love to have them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    While I do believe in beautiful tools, they need to be in good working condition. Considering the amount ow work these would need to remove rust , straighten and then sharpen, plus making new handles, it just isn't worth it. There are better saws available for next to nothing at yard sales and tool dealers. Do you want to paint them?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That might be a good option for some of the lesser saws that are bent. Maybe a high school or local college art class would love to have them.

jtk
    Found this and looks interesting. https://thesawlady.com/

It was a joke. Years ago people used to complain about seeing saws for sale that somebody had ruined by painting them.

There is nothing that ticks me off more, than seeing a Painted Handsaw while out on Rust Hunts....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Ok, I've sorted and have about ten full sized saws with good handles and fairly straight plates. If you would like a saw, let me know what type you are looking for. Cross-cut or Rip.
    I can send you pictures and you can choose. All I'm asking is $20 to cover shipping. Includes saws made by Millers Falls, Disston, Atkins and some typical Warranted Superior (with less rounded handles).
    Send a PM or e-mail if interested.

Remember, broken saw plates make fine scraper stock. Knife makers also like old saw plate material for carbon steel knives. It's not the hardest stuff, but it is generally fine grained and makes a nice general purpose kitchen or thin hunting knife.
    Last edited by John C Cox; 04-06-2024 at 12:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    The two in the first photo to the left with the finger holes in the handle resemble the Disston saws I inherited from my Grandfather. You might want to examine them closely.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    Remember, broken saw plates make fine scraper stock. Knife makers also like old saw plate material for carbon steel knives. It's not the hardest stuff, but it is generally fine grained and makes a nice general purpose kitchen or thin hunting knife.
    Yes, but I'm not willing to do the work. Of the saws that had both bent plates and broken handles, I ended up with over 20lbs of metal. Most were common thickness, one was thin. If you want some just pay for shipping.
    You can clean and shape as you wish.