Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saw Purge

Blog Entries
    Ouch! Those are the ones that are hardest to come by! I've never actually seen one in the wild. I had to buy my D8 5 PPI online after about a year and half of looking locally and coming up blank.
    I know how your feel. Many years ago a Lakside D8 saw of mine was retoothed to 4-1/2 ppi. It saved a bit of time ripping long pieces of ash. The plate was a touch thin and on one hard stroke the plate snapped. Now most of my ripping is done with a Disston D8 at 6 ppi.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yup. That's it. Only 5 ppi and it ran me about $50.

Crosscut saws are a dime a dozen here. Rip saws can be found, but never less than 7 ppi. Backsaws made prior to the 1970's are pretty scarce as well. Everyone and their dog is selling braces, but no one's got the bits to go with them. Bucksaws are everywhere and priced in reverse. The better the condition, the cheaper they are. Apparently, the only people buying them are restaurants, and they only want the most rusted and rustic looking ones for their walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post

Crosscut saws are a dime a dozen here. Rip saws can be found, but never less than 7 ppi. Backsaws made prior to the 1970's are pretty scarce as well. Everyone and their dog is selling braces, but no one's got the bits to go with them. Bucksaws are everywhere and priced in reverse. The better the condition, the cheaper they are. Apparently, the only people buying them are restaurants, and they only want the most rusted and rustic looking ones for their walls.
    Here is one on e-bay for you to consider. How about 4 TPI? 28" length. Starting at $.99 with $20 shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12641020572...Bk9SR_jX5cbYYw

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post

Looked through my saw plate pile to see how many were rip large teeth. I had one that was 4 1/2 TPI but it had issues. It looks like it maybe lost an inch or so in width, the end was broke off to 23", and the plate was bent is an S shape. Too rusty to mess with. Did have another one though that had a slight bend 6 TPI. Tried straightening and it looks pretty good. So I removed all the rust and slipped the original handle on it. I will finish this saw.
    In the pictures below you can see the 4 1/2 at the bottom and the 6 at the top. Then pictures of the cleaned up 6. Sorry handle looks dark. It's dirty but in decent shape. Anyone interested?

Pair Before 1.jpgPair Before 2.jpgPair Top 1.jpgPair Top 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    Here is one on e-bay for you to consider. How about 4 TPI? 28" length. Starting at $.99 with $20 shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12641020572...Bk9SR_jX5cbYYw
    I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm good. My saw collection is already completed. Well, I would like to add more, but I work in a garage with very limited space, so I have to keep my tool collection limited. So if something new comes in, something old is going to have to go out to make room for it. So I try to keep only the most essential tools on hand. Which as far as saws go, means I'm sticking with just 10 saws to do everything I do. A resaw, a rip, a crosscut, a tenon, a carcass, a dovetail, a ryoba, a flush cut, a coping saw, and a hacksaw.

Even finding room for 10 saws isn't easy. A problem made doubly hard by the fact that I can't leave any out in the open air, or they'll rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    Looked through my saw plate pile to see how many were rip large teeth. I had one that was 4 1/2 TPI but it had issues. It looks like it maybe lost an inch or so in width, the end was broke off to 23", and the plate was bent is an S shape. Too rusty to mess with. Did have another one though that had a slight bend 6 TPI. Tried straightening and it looks pretty good. So I removed all the rust and slipped the original handle on it. I will finish this saw.
    In the pictures below you can see the 4 1/2 at the bottom and the 6 at the top. Then pictures of the cleaned up 6. Sorry handle looks dark. It's dirty but in decent shape. Anyone interested?

Pair Before 1.jpgPair Before 2.jpgPair Top 1.jpgPair Top 2.jpg
    Cleaned up the handle and did some research. From what I can tell, this is a Lakeside L-100. This looks like the earlier Lakeside, before they added the Montgomery Ward Logo. Comparing to a Disston D-8, this one has a larger thumbhole
    and wheat carving on the handle.

Lakeside L-100 Saw 1.jpgLakeside L-100 Saw 2.jpg

Decided to clean another one with a slightly different handle. Fully rusted, handle bottom split and nailed. Medallion is typical Warranted Superior. Took the handle off and started scraping the surface down and found an etching. Took it gentle because the etching looked light. Surprise! It is a Lockwood Taylor Hardware Company. Never heard of them. Did some research and found they were operating under that name from 1892 to 1917. So I'll clean this one carefully.
    Here are before and during clean-up pictures:

Lockwood Before 2.jpgLockwood Before 1.jpgLockwood During 1.jpgLockwood During 2.jpg