Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw Purge

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    The two in the first photo to the left with the finger holes in the handle resemble the Disston saws I inherited from my Grandfather. You might want to examine them closely.
    Yes, but those two both had bend plates. The handles have been removed and saved for? I have a couple more similar and need to see if their handles are ok. Bishop also made similar saws. Of these two handles one medallion is marked Disston, the other is Warranted Superior. The handles are slightly different.

Blog Entries
    I see painted saws differently than most. Usually the saw that has been painted is not one I would want for my shop. Saw one once for $10 in an antique/second hand store. It looked to be a 1960s hardware store saw. I bought it and gave it to me dad. He had it for years until he had to downsize and he gave it back to me. It now hangs in my shop.

Big Plank Rip on Bandsaw.jpg

It can be seen behind the bandsaw, above the Route 66 sign.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You can always make ‘card’ scrapers out of them, especially the ones that “don’t shoot straight” anymore. Be sure to get an agate
    burnisher . They are the best , and they also burnish your reputation for good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I see painted saws differently than most. Usually the saw that has been painted is not one I would want for my shop. Saw one once for $10 in an antique/second hand store. It looked to be a 1960s hardware store saw. I bought it and gave it to me dad. He had it for years until he had to downsize and he gave it back to me. It now hangs in my shop.

Big Plank Rip on Bandsaw.jpg

It can be seen behind the bandsaw, above the Route 66 sign.

jtk
    It was for a worth cause then wasn't it? Anytime I pick up one of my families tools it brings back good memories. It's a good reminder not just of them, but our own mortality.
    Jim, you think any of your kids will appreciate it? Might help to put a label on the back telling it's story. I once did that for a picture frame I made but I made it into a QR Code (2-D Barcode).

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    You can always make ‘card’ scrapers out of them, especially the ones that “don’t shoot straight” anymore. Be sure to get an agate
    burnisher . They are the best , and they also burnish your reputation for good work.
    How many you want Mel? I have over 20lbs of rusty plates.

Quick list, I have one rip Disston 5 1/2TPI, three Millers Falls X-Cut two different TPI, an Adkins X-Cut, Unmarked X-Cut teflon coated, Rockwell fine rip.

Thanks ,Eric but I’m retired ….so I started hoarding a long time ago. You can also cut the saws down between any bent sections and
    make smaller saws . If you don’t want to re- tooth them ,easy to get them done by a sharpening shop.
    But back to the scrapers , they were at least 6 dollars each decades ago. All the Old Timers made their own, from old saws . They
    would be aghast at the idea of BUYING a scraper. Don’t toss them , now that MEL had done a commercial for you business will grow !

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    It was a joke. Years ago people used to complain about seeing saws for sale that somebody had ruined by painting them.
    YES , but some of the lesser art work can be painted over ,and the steel will not have been eaten up by rust. I think even Mike
    Angelo painted over some of HIS work. Can’t resist posting my favorite story of Mike Angelo, again. When he finished carving marble
    Moses ,he tapped him with his wooden mallet and said to Moses “ Now Speak !” . Sadly, no one wrote down what Moses said to Mike.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    It was for a worth cause then wasn't it? Anytime I pick up one of my families tools it brings back good memories. It's a good reminder not just of them, but our own mortality.
    Jim, you think any of your kids will appreciate it? Might help to put a label on the back telling it's story. I once did that for a picture frame I made but I made it into a QR Code (2-D Barcode).
    I'll have to put a note on the back. With 4 kids and 8 grandchildren I hope some of them will appreciate some of my stuff.

If nothing else they can have an estate sale and a big party afterwards.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    There is nothing that ticks me off more, than seeing a Painted Handsaw while out on Rust Hunts....
    I am confident in my assessment that you are not their target market, and they are unperturbed by your disdain.

Having said that, keep up the good work. I always enjoy what you do, how you do it, and what you have to say. Please don't let up.
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 04-07-2024 at 3:27 PM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I wouldn't give up on a saw just because the plate was bent, unless they're kinked. I've reworked several bent saw plates and once straightened, they seem to stay straight. One of my favorite saws, a D-16, came to me with a pretty good bend in the toe. Often times it's not too much work, maybe a minute or two. Though sometimes it requires re-tensioning the plate, which is a bit more work, though doable. Then sometimes they're not worth the effort, especially if the saw has other problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
    I wouldn't give up on a saw just because the plate was bent, unless they're kinked. I've reworked several bent saw plates and once straightened, they seem to stay straight. One of my favorite saws, a D-16, came to me with a pretty good bend in the toe. Often times it's not too much work, maybe a minute or two. Though sometimes it requires re-tensioning the plate, which is a bit more work, though doable. Then sometimes they're not worth the effort, especially if the saw has other problems.
    Most the saws I gave up on had broken handles, rusty plates, and were bent. Ones that weren't so bad I'm trying to make respectable before giving away. I am not sharpening. My eyes and hand coordination just isn't good enough anymore.
    Also, some may disagree, but the coarser saws, say 5 PPI filed rip just are not wanted by many. So, if rusty and bent I will take off the handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    Most the saws I gave up on had broken handles, rusty plates, and were bent. Ones that weren't so bad I'm trying to make respectable before giving away. I am not sharpening. My eyes and hand coordination just isn't good enough anymore.
    Also, some may disagree, but the coarser saws, say 5 PPI filed rip just are not wanted by many. So, if rusty and bent I will take off the handle.
    Ouch! Those are the ones that are hardest to come by! I've never actually seen one in the wild. I had to buy my D8 5 PPI online after about a year and half of looking locally and coming up blank. I probably hit up 200 antique stores, estate sales, and yard sales in that time. And I use that saw a lot!

But I get it. I'd bet most hand tool users would sooner use their bandsaw or table saw than pull out a coarse rip saw. So while there aren't many of them out there, there's probably not much demand either.

I just hate to see one of those rare birds fall out of circulation. But I don't hate it enough to try to buy something I don't need.

This one?
    Resaw, and done .JPG
    D8 ( no hyphen, pre 1928) 28" long, 5-1/2 PPI.....from an Estate Sale...$1
    Resaw, D8 Rip saw.JPG
    Kind of like it, for doing resaw work...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
    Ouch! Those are the ones that are hardest to come by! I've never actually seen one in the wild. I had to buy my D8 5 PPI online after about a year and half of looking locally and coming up blank. I probably hit up 200 antique stores, estate sales, and yard sales in that time. And I use that saw a lot!

But I get it. I'd bet most hand tool users would sooner use their bandsaw or table saw than pull out a coarse rip saw. So while there aren't many of them out there, there's probably not much demand either.

I just hate to see one of those rare birds fall out of circulation. But I don't hate it enough to try to buy something I don't need.
    If you want I can send a couple to you for shipping cost. Probably about $20. They will be rusty with a single bend if I recall.