Thread: Tote refinishing - millers falls

Tote refinishing - millers falls

Hi all,

I picked up a crummy looking millers falls no 9 yesterday. it looks like someone tried stripping the finish from the tote but quit halfway through. Do I need to finish stripping before applying a new finish? I was thinking of putting this Howard feed n wax on it.

The plane will be a user but I wouldn’t mind getting the tote looking somewhat nicer than it does now!

IMG_1378.jpgIMG_1377.jpgIMG_1379.jpg

To me, it just looks like they left some stain on it. It doesn't appear to have any finish left on it, from what I'm seeing. It also appears as though the handle was broken and then repaired.

The Howard's Feed N Wax isn't a finish. It's just some non-drying oils. And it's safe for most wood finishes, so it wouldn't hurt anything even if there was some finish left over, unless you plan on putting a true finish over it. Then it might cause some issues. But if all you want to do is apply the Howard's, then it doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    I agree with what Jimmy said about the how the handle looks. It looks like it was hit with some 80 grit sandpaper and then left at that.

You might want to give it a go over with a finer sandpaper.

My totes are often given a good rub down with Howard Feed N Wax. Often that is all they get. I have given them a coat of shellac after the Howard with no problems.

With rosewood, my preference is only the Feed N Wax. With other woods it depends on how it feels in hand.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Sometimes..handles like these show up...
    Millers Falls No. 9, fancy wood .JPG
    Also a Millers Falls No.9, Type 4....last of the "Good" ones...Do NOT buy a Type 5..
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use