Thread: Powermatic 2800 Drill Press issue

Powermatic 2800 Drill Press issue

In the process of moving from one shop to another that was at the time not environmentally controlled, my Powermatic 2800 drill press suffered a bit (well, more than a bit) of rust on the main column. The rack is crap, wish it was steel, not aluminum, so tired of clamping it to avoid bending. Can I have the column refinished or should I buy a new one? Any thoughts on a stiffer rack for raising and lowering?

Thank you! -mike

Wire brush on an angle grinder. Then fine (200+) sandpaper on a ROS. Buy stock gear rack in steel and drill/grind to fit. On my Walker Turner dp the solid behind the teeth is thicker then the teeth+solid of most modern dp's.
    Bill D.
    https://khkgears.net/pdf/rack-tech.pdf
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-07-2024 at 2:32 PM.

You will need to count the teeth per inch on the rack. Also count the teeth on the spur gear and it's pitch diameter to get tooth angle. If worst comes to worst switch both to match.
    Bill D

Mike please report back if you change the rack.
    I have the same drill press.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Mike please report back if you change the rack.
    I have the same drill press.
    Ron

Will do as soon as I figure it out

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Wire brush on an angle grinder. Then fine (200+) sandpaper on a ROS. Buy stock gear rack in steel and drill/grind to fit. On my Walker Turner dp the solid behind the teeth is thicker then the teeth+solid of most modern dp's.
    Bill D.
    https://khkgears.net/pdf/rack-tech.pdf
    Ok, that seems reasonable. Do I take it apart or do in place? Not sure about drill to fit. This DP has collars that let the rack spin around the column. But I sure want a steel rack. Thanks for link and help. -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    You will need to count the teeth per inch on the rack. Also count the teeth on the spur gear and it's pitch diameter to get tooth angle. If worst comes to worst switch both to match.
    Bill D
    Yes, of course. I will study this, Thank you!

I've heard so many complaints, it seems that Powermatic drill presses are highly overrated! Based on friends complaints, I would never buy one.

Your best bet would be to take the rack off and take it to somewhere like Motion Industries. They'll have the gauges to measure the tooth size/teeth per inch and the pressure angle, it could be 14.5 or 20 degrees. You could order the rack from them or take the information from them and order one from McMaster-Carr.

You may find the info. you need at the Martin website.

Of course it could be metric and then I don't know where you'd find the info you need.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I would not take it apart. I would do it above and below the moving parts then move them up/down to expose uncleaned sections and do those. If that does not do it then consider taking it apart. Likely the parts under the moving bits did not get too rusty.
    BillD