Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floating Nightstands

Floating Nightstands

We're finishing our basement and I wanted to build a pair of floating nightstands for the basement bedroom. As part of the build process, I wanted to see how much of a custom furniture build could be done on the CNC. Since I was making a pair, this seemed like a perfect test and something I've never done.

Spoiler alert, for those of you that think the CNC is the easy button, you just couldn't be more wrong and it demonstrates your ignorance. While some things were easier and in the end the design process was rewarding, there was a LOT of extra preparation and planning long before any cutting took place.

I started with a simple CAD drawing so I could pull the basic panels into V-Carve pro and setup the sheets/layers/toolpaths for the nightstands, taking care to remember that one design will be a mirrored image of the other.

I then went to the typical milling process, getting the rough walnut boards properly thicknessed, jointed and ready for glue-up. Once the panels were all built, I had to decide tops/bottoms/sides and remember that a lot of the milling would be on the inside pieces, due to the fact I will have a groove to accept a 22/32" walnut ply insert. I also inset the back far enough I could add a BB French cleat for eventual hanging.

Part of the motivation behind using my CNC was designing a drawer front. I created several textures, overlayed them to give a bit of a random look as well as pulled in elements of varying depths for an overall beautiful, custom look. There was a lot of hand sanding after this to cut down all the rough textures, but overall well worth the effort.

For connecting the panels I still went blind tenons using my Domino. I also had to round over (3/4) and hand sand/round the final pieces before assembly.

After a lot of hand sanding and finishing touches, I built the drawer boxes (maple), inset an MDF ply of walnut and installed Blum 9" undermount drawer slides. One thing that was pretty cool is how "identical" the two parts were. This made marking for dominos and building drawers easier because; one, the final dimensions exactly matched my drawings and two, they were identical mirror images.

I stained with Osmo (first time using this) and applied 2 coats. Overall the texturing and final look came out great. It will be several weeks beofre I can install them, so I'll update the post at that time. Overall the design process was fun, rewarding and just as much work as using "traditional" means. If you're building hundreds of these, then the up front work is worth it, but for custom one (or two in my case) off pieces, you need to decide how best to use the CNC just as you would any other tool.

Blog Entries
    Neat-O! I like the design a lot and your workmanship looks excellent. I can imagine those in a nice furniture store with a hefty price tag.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Michael,
    I am not a CNC guy but i find this interesting and informative. Will the headboard have the waterfall edge on both sides? i ask because i keep debating whether i would orient them in the room as shown or flip them R for L. Tend to think it would depend if outside edge was close to a wall or there was open space on the side. Similarly, if the headboard had hard vertical edges, then i might switch them. Might be room dependent, but either way, a very nice job.

I was going to ask about legs, but assume by "floating" they will be mounted to the wall . . . .

Best, Patrick

Did you use the fluting toolpath with ramps to generate the carved texture on the drawer fronts?

Those look great, Michael. You are absolutely right about one offs being a huge time suck using the CNC. 95% design work, 5% milling. Except for those really cool drawer fronts, I bet you could have built them w/o the CNC in far less time.

Osmo, and Rubio Monocoat, look great on walnut and your cabinets are proof.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    Spoiler alert, for those of you that think the CNC is the easy button, you just couldn't be more wrong and it demonstrates your ignorance. While some things were easier and in the end the design process was rewarding, there was a LOT of extra preparation and planning long before any cutting took place.
    I would say that's less of a "spoiler alert" and more of a preemptive strike. You seem to be quite sensitive about something no one brought up. Telling people that they're wrong and ignorant if they don't know all the in's and out's about CNC design, before they've commented, seriously.
    I would respectfully suggest dialing it down a bit.

The tables look nice, regardless of construction method.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I would say that's less of a "spoiler alert" and more of a preemptive strike. You seem to be quite sensitive about something no one brought up. Telling people that they're wrong and ignorant if they don't know all the in's and out's about CNC design, before they've commented, seriously.
    I would respectfully suggest dialing it down a bit.

The tables look nice, regardless of construction method.
    I was personally, on this forum, told CNC is the easy way and not real woodworking. I think my tone was just fine thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Michael,
    I am not a CNC guy but i find this interesting and informative. Will the headboard have the waterfall edge on both sides? i ask because i keep debating whether i would orient them in the room as shown or flip them R for L. Tend to think it would depend if outside edge was close to a wall or there was open space on the side. Similarly, if the headboard had hard vertical edges, then i might switch them. Might be room dependent, but either way, a very nice job.

I was going to ask about legs, but assume by "floating" they will be mounted to the wall . . . .

Best, Patrick
    Thanks Patrick! The way they are in the picture will be the orientation. The shorter side will make it easier to reach through and grab your phone, etc. at night. Plus it added a bit of design asymmetry which I like.

Yea no legs, mounted to the wall. I actually am building an outlet access at the back so cords will be hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Did you use the fluting toolpath with ramps to generate the carved texture on the drawer fronts?
    Yea a mixture of texture toolpath with fluting overlays. Mill time was around 25 minutes per drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Those look great, Michael. You are absolutely right about one offs being a huge time suck using the CNC. 95% design work, 5% milling. Except for those really cool drawer fronts, I bet you could have built them w/o the CNC in far less time.

Osmo, and Rubio Monocoat, look great on walnut and your cabinets are proof.

John
    Yea, agreed. Part of me just wanted to try and since it was two pieces it seemed a good test. I really liked the Osmo but I’m still torn on if I prefer Rubio. Both were easy though.

Cheers.

Those look OUTSTANDING!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice…. Love the design.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Those look OUTSTANDING!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Hawkshaw View Post
    Very nice…. Love the design.
    Thanks guys, appreciate it!

Pretty sure I haven’t seen one like that before ! The wood looks likes the old cloth on new Radios and Television, but it’s stronger
    and harder to make ! Clever , interesting stuff.

Thanks Mel. Yea I played around with the textures a bit before I got something I liked. I also used a spongy pad and sanded to 180 grit to soften the edges.