Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drawer frame flexing when pulling handle due to large 44" width -possible solutions?

Back before plywood and modern glue there were reasons to make slip in bottoms. If you're doing that now you're stuck in an incredibly old rut.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory filder View Post
    12 mm frame, 5 mm front ( plan) not executed yet. Wait a second. Why does the drawer need two handles? I only bought for one.I fitted one test drawer and it is ultrasmooth. I disabled the soft close mechanism which should cut down on flex.
    I would never make a drawer that wide with a 3/16" front panel, let alone one that is 40" wide. I made a lateral file with two drawers that were 36 inches wide, but like all my other drawers the sides were 1/2" poplar all the way around. When I was looking at drawer slides I noted that the specifications for the slides limited the maximum width of the drawers. You basically need more robust drawer slides for wider drawers that have a bit more side play tolerance than regular slides.
    slides.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-19-2024 at 6:56 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

1. Everything needs to be glued to everything else, unless you use solid wood.
    2. Very flimsy design due to the small dimensions.
    3. Use 5/8" minimum sides, back, and sub-front.
    4. Add drawer face of 3/4" and screw on through sub front. A 5mm front is a waste of time.
    5. 44" width is very wide for a drawer. If you are putting heavy stuff in it, you will need to be using at least 1/2" bottoms.

Unless your drawers are for light stuff like maps, they are way too underbuilt to last.

Dan

It's plywood. Just glue the bottom in.