Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawer frame flexing when pulling handle due to large 44" width -possible solutions?

Drawer frame flexing when pulling handle due to large 44" width -possible solutions?

Hello,
    I just built some drawers and I assembled the bottoms without glue. They are floating this was for ease of installation. However I've run into a potential issue down the line. Because the drawers are so wide, when Pulling on the side ( handle) on the half-inch Baltic birch, there is quite a bit of flex. I'm thinking over time this could be an issue especially with the drawer slides. I'm interested to hear and possible solutions.The best I can come up with is to have an additional quarter-inch piece glued to the bottom and a screw in the front and back. This would no longer make the drawers floating. I should mention that the construction is Baltic bird sides as well as the bottom.

Of course I could just screw right through the bottom but I do not know how well that will hold up.

I have not yet installed the drawer fronts. The plan is to make them 5 mm approximately
    .IMG_7421.jpgIMG_7420.jpg
    Last edited by Cory filder; 04-07-2024 at 10:07 PM.

A bead of hot-melt glue will tie the bottom to the sides and front quite securely. Make sure to square up the drawer before you apply the glue.

Glue a small cleat or quarter round to the bottom and front

I guess I am not understanding how the sides of the drawer would flex if the corner joints (dovetail, rabbet, finger joint, etc) were properly made. The bottoms usually provide little or no overall strength to the drawer, and floating is one of the typical designs, so something is wrong. I agree to add some glue to the dados holding the drawer bottom or just shoot a half dozen pins or brads into the bottom of the drawer side on the inside at a slight angle to hit the drawer bottom, or yeah some quarter round or shop made triangle cleat to the corners to reinforce them. I think I would try glue or brads first.
    Regards,

Tom

Just adding the drawer fronts will stiffen the front and reduce the flex. In addition to the pull locations, you can screw through the drawer carcass into the front in several other locations (making sure to use oversize clearance holes) to really stiffen up the front assembly. I'd try that first before the other solutions; it may be all you need.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

drawer front is too light, needs reinforced somehow. lot of good ideas given already pick one. I have a 4 drawer chest for my clothes, made out of 3/4 cherry, dovetail's and 1/2 baltic birch bottoms. The drawer fronts do not flex, no matter if pulled from side, middle. Over 50" wide.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    A bead of hot-melt glue will tie the bottom to the sides and front quite securely. Make sure to square up the drawer before you apply the glue.
    Does the hot glue last for years with temperature changes? Despite the fact that this is all made out of Baltic birch plywood, is there any issue with movement? I shouldn't think so since many people use glue all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Glue a small cleat or quarter round to the bottom and front
    I'm seriously considering this is the option.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    I guess I am not understanding how the sides of the drawer would flex if the corner joints (dovetail, rabbet, finger joint, etc) were properly made. The bottoms usually provide little or no overall strength to the drawer, and floating is one of the typical designs, so something is wrong. I agree to add some glue to the dados holding the drawer bottom or just shoot a half dozen pins or brads into the bottom of the drawer side on the inside at a slight angle to hit the drawer bottom, or yeah some quarter round or shop made triangle cleat to the corners to reinforce them. I think I would try glue or brads first.
    glue and brads are fast and easy. The reason why this is happening has more to do with bending moment of the long span rather than joint stiffness of the corner. my Corners are pretty stiff. I do not believe there is a mistake so far, but rather an additional step as needed. My sides which are only 20 inches do not really flex at all. 44 inches is a long span with only 12 mm material and 3" high

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Just adding the drawer fronts will stiffen the front and reduce the flex. In addition to the pull locations, you can screw through the drawer carcass into the front in several other locations (making sure to use oversize clearance holes) to really stiffen up the front assembly. I'd try that first before the other solutions; it may be all you need.
    I was thinking this too only that my drawer fronts were only intended to be 5 mm thick. If I would've gone thicker, I think you're right there would've been no issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    drawer front is too light, needs reinforced somehow. lot of good ideas given already pick one. I have a 4 drawer chest for my clothes, made out of 3/4 cherry, dovetail's and 1/2 baltic birch bottoms. The drawer fronts do not flex, no matter if pulled from side, middle. Over 50" wide.
    Ron
    3/4" is thicker than 1/2" also close drawers are a lot deeper at 6 inches or more which provides further stiffness
    Last edited by Cory filder; 04-08-2024 at 10:37 AM.

A drawer that wides needs two handles not just one. How thick is the wood. Can you add a drawer front latter.
    Bill D

12 mm frame, 5 mm front ( plan) not executed yet. Wait a second. Why does the drawer need two handles? I only bought for one.I fitted one test drawer and it is ultrasmooth. I disabled the soft close mechanism which should cut down on flex.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    A drawer that wides needs two handles not just one. How thick is the wood. Can you add a drawer front latter.
    Bill D
    Putting two pulls on a wide drawer is common, but it causes a problem. If somebody pulls on only one handle, the drawer box may rack, or the drawer may rack against the casework. A single pull in the middle of drawer avoids those problems.

So based on the information provided by Cory, the OP, it is the drawer front which is flexing, understandable I guess since it is so wide. As others have posted, having a drawer front of 3/4 stock would solve this problem. Brads and glue would bond the drawer front to the bottom which might work. Try and see, no harm in trying. I'm assuming this is a casual cabinet since there is no finish drawer front and the entire thing is made out of plywood. If that is the case, and a drawer front cannot be added now to stiffen the drawer front, try a Simpson Tie, cut down to something less than the width and screw it to the back of the drawer front, or add some additional stock to the inside of the drawer front, like gluing some more matching stock. Both would stiffen the front, which seems to be undersized if it is flexing.
    Regards,

Tom

Is this a fine furniture piece or utility/shop? If the former, I would attempt to add 1/8" edge banding at the top (wood does not easily flex across grain) and be sure to glue the drawer bottom panel along the front and one place on each side. If shop furniture, I'd add a divider down the middle or 1/4" round or even a small angle bracket glued in place. Lots of "ugly" ways to fix that for shop furniture.

I've built a custom hutch that used 48" drawers and my wife wanted one middle pull. To overcome flexing, I used 3/4" maple drawer boxes, once the front was added there is zero flex. Jamie points out the downside if you add two pulls to such a wide drawer and IMHO something in the middle is best.
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 04-08-2024 at 5:18 PM.

Since the whole drawer is BB why not glue the bottom in, there should be no expansion to worry about. Also consider just another layer of BB glued to the INSIDE of the front piece. It would look like it was designed that way.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Rick said the same thing I need, but better. +1
    Regards,

Tom

NEVER put two handles on drawers wider than 30". People are morons and they Will screw them up.