Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What clear plastic for router base and where to get it?

What clear plastic for router base and where to get it?

I want to make some aux bases for my trim routers so - what should I use and where should I get it?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Acrylic or Plexiglass would be my choice. It's not as impact resistant as polycarbonate or Lexan, but doesn't scratch as easily, so it would be easier to see through for longer. But really, either would work.

You can find both at most hardware stores in the window and glass section. Or you can buy them online. The bigger the base, the thicker you'll want it to keep it from flexing too much. They also make premade router bases that you can buy at woodworking stores or online. You'll pay a bit more, but save some time. Though, if you've already got a router with a spiral bit and a drill press, it wouldn't be too hard to make your own. Both acrylic and polycarbonate work pretty easily, so long as you keep your speeds down so you don't melt the plastic. Just don't remove the protective film until after you've done your work to help reduce scratches.

Check out the 3x3 custom base. $70 and is pretty multifunctional. I opened mine yesterday.

Dont forget to break the edges. I peeled back a good sized chunk of meat on a knuckle some years back.

And there's a vague memory of something similar with a freshly jointed piece of hardwood.

plexi glass works fine.

I preferred lexan when I made mine. It does scratch a bit easier than acylic, but it's tougher. If you go for acrylic, be sure to get cast, not extruded. Extruded melts if you look at it the wrong way, so it's tough to get clean cuts when you are making your base.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

any kind of thicker plastic, wood, Baltic birch, Corian, or aluminum make sub bases. Find an acrylic supplier near you and ask for off cuts. Amazon sells small sheets, but you can buy sub bases for less than $15 there too.

Lexan doesn't scratch that much easier than Plexiglass . It much easier to work with, it does not crack if you look at it in the wrong tone . I've used both. Lexan is shatter resistant. Look for industrial plastics store.

been using plexi over 40 years, off cuts from customer stuff. Scratches dont matter. I know how to polish, its not a car show.

My fave is from McMaster - very convenient, and next-day since I live in Atlanta. No need to tell me I am overpaying for service and shipping - I've heard it often enough from - well, you know who you are

Anyway, back on message: https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/130/4097/8574K819

The 1/4" is what I use.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Check out the 3x3 custom base. $70 and is pretty multifunctional. I opened mine yesterday.
    Yeah I picked up one of Tamar's 6 in one bases. It's a slick setup. I need some additional styles though.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Rich, I've always prefered Lexan for this kind of thing, even though it's not as crystal clear as plexiglas and similar. Why? It's less likely to crack when you are drilling into it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I get off cuts from my local glass company for nothing, but I have done some business with them over the decades. They use some brand of polycarbonate that is different than regular plexiglass or lexan, but I forget what it is. It's nice cutting stuff and very clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Selinger View Post
    Lexan doesn't scratch that much easier than Plexiglass . It much easier to work with, it does not crack if you look at it in the wrong tone . I've used both. Lexan is shatter resistant. Look for industrial plastics store.
    Lexan or polycarbonate is so soft you can pull a curl with a hand plane, and then bend it cold in a sheet metal brake.

Plexiglas is what I have used. I've got a 1/4" thick piece for the base on my main router that has lasted about 10 years now.