Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everybody got their eclipse glasses?

Everybody got their eclipse glasses?

I live in the 44224 zip code.
    We get the total eclipse today at 3:14 pm. It lasts for a little over 3 minutes.
    Next one is in 2044. I doubt I'll be around for that one.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I keep waiting for the sun to pass between the Earth and the moon.

I can't believe how much hype there is over this one. Eclipses happen all the time but now that it's in the U.S., people seem to have gone a bit nuts.
    I saw the one in 2017, if was very cool to witness, hope everyone has fun.

Right now it is sunny and clear 44256 Medina OH

Blog Entries
    We will have to use the welding helmets. Glasses are sold out here. We have blue skies.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Ordered the glasses from Amazon Thursday morning and had them Friday morning. Also have a sextant which has a low-power telescope with sun filters. Sun is about 25% covered here right now and the light looks a little wierd.

I was in Turkey in 1966 in the Air Force when there was a partial eclipse. They didn't have nearly the pre-eclipse hype we've had and I didn't know it was coming. Don't think many of the local people knew it either. I was walking around in Ankara and it seemed like the sunlight was getting turned down. Thought maybe I was having a medical problem or something. Very strange feeling. I eventually figured it out and was able to squint enough to see that it was an eclipse.

It's pretty cloudy in the Nashville area, which is OK, as this as close as we got to totality (this time!)

20240408_140718.jpg

Blog Entries
    Here in the Pacific North West we don't need no special glasses.

Not only do we have a heavy cloud cover, we get about a 15% eclipse.

I've seen a few of them and even have some slides of one I saw back in the 1980s. Just not sure where they might be at the moment.

jtk

If you are old enough to remember The Treasure of the Sierra Madre this came to mind while reading this post:

Special glasses? We ain't got no special glasses.
    We don't need no special glasses.
    We ain’t gots to show you no stinking special glasses!
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 04-08-2024 at 3:52 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I went to Indiana to visit family and see the eclipse.. the full eclipse was pretty cool. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I liked it a lot. In Utah, we've had two eclipses in the past few years, but this one was the only one I really took the time to see.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    We will have to use the welding helmets. Glasses are sold out here. We have blue skies.
    Local talking heads keep repeating over and over to not use sunglasses or welding helmets. Not sure what's real, but I wouldn't change losing my eyesight to a welding helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Local talking heads keep repeating over and over to not use sunglasses or welding helmets. Not sure what's real, but I wouldn't change losing my eyesight to a welding helmet.
    When they say welding helmets they are talking weilding goggels. I used my welding shield that was darker then my solar glasses

I read that welding lenses should be 14 and above. My typical ones are 10,11. I had some goggles that were probably 8 and used them in front of a 10.
    We probably got about a 90% eclipse. Was disappointed it wasn't really that much darker outside than a dull day. Temperature did drop about 3.5C though.

I used a black lawn and garden bag, in 2 ply mode and enjoyed it all. I enjoy noon marks more, it’s a show every sunny day.
    This town has a 90 foot pyramid noon mark with a special feature . June 21 Sun shines on all 4 sides and for a couple of minutes all 4
    sides are illuminated and no shadow is cast. It is a memorial to some thousands of Confederates killed in the war. People then set their
    clocks with noon marks. Easy to find a photograph of : Memorial To The Confederate Dead, Richmond Va. The builder had been a
    Captain in The Confederate Army. He was also a surveyor. Two men were killed in the year of work building . One was run over by
    a mule and the other one was hit by dynamite throwing a large piece of granite.

It's all over here.
    It was pretty cool.

I watched the run up to it on TV and I have to admit, I go into the excitement more than I had ever thought I would. I even managed to talk my wife into looking.
    She's not interested in things like this at all.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Sat on the deck and talked to the neighbors while it happened. Got dark enough the street lights came on, did cool off fast for a little bit. Amazing how much heat and light the sun produced when it was approximately 70-80% covered.
    Ron