Thread: Bosch GCM12SD Miter Saw Calibration Issue

Bosch GCM12SD Miter Saw Calibration Issue

Hello,
    I've scoured the forum for feedback, but have not seen this addressed. I purchased a new Bosch GCM12SD miter saw. Trying to calibrate. While I adjusted the 90 degree detent, perfectly zero'd in, the 45 degree detents are off ~.5 degree. Is there a way to adjust the 45 detents without disruption the 90?

I've read the detents are plastic. Not sure if this contributes to the issue. Has anyone had and resolved this concern? I have a whole house of door and window casing to trim out. I would like to use this for, but need accurate cuts. Otherwise love the saw. (except for having no shadow line.)

Any words of wisdom or experience would be appreciated.
    Thank you, thank you.

I have a Bosch glide. The manual has good instructions how to adjust the saw that’s what I followed. I would like to suggest to get a good blade. The one that comes with saw sometimes are poor.
    Too me a good blade has a full thickness plate and negative rake tooth no thin kerf blades.
    Good Luck
    Aj

That's a really good point - I should probably be zeroing in a quality blade. I never did rotate the stock thin-kerf Bosch blade to see if the measures stayed the same. Not to start a blade war, but any advice on the best value for 12" trim blade, 1/8" 80+ tooth for miter saw? Looking at Forrest, Ridge Carbide, Tenryu, FS Tools? I've had good luck with Forrest WW2 on table saw...

Another wrinkle. The owners manual states, "To avoid injury, ...The blade’s maximum plate thickness is 0.100"." I've never seen or noticed that disclaimer before. That would seem to negate the use of 1/8" (.125") blades? For example, the Forrest ChopMaster 90t is .109". How is a miter saw not rated for 1/8" blades??

All those blades you mention are great.
    I have the Forrest chop master. I guess I’ve strayed from Boschs recommendation for blade thickness.
    I’ve had my Blade sharpened at least twice.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Command decision - bought a Tenryu MP-305100AB 12" Carbide Tipped Saw Blade. 100t ATAFR, 1" Arbor, .118 Kerf. $155. Well reviewed, reasonable price point, available, etc. Will come back once installed and zero'd in. See if that helps my calibration issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane Bragg View Post
    Another wrinkle. The owners manual states, "To avoid injury, ...The blade’s maximum plate thickness is 0.100"." I've never seen or noticed that disclaimer before. That would seem to negate the use of 1/8" (.125") blades? For example, the Forrest ChopMaster 90t is .109". How is a miter saw not rated for 1/8" blades??
    Plate thickness is less than kerf width....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Plate thickness is less than kerf width....
    Ahh. Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane Bragg View Post
    Command decision - bought a Tenryu MP-305100AB 12" Carbide Tipped Saw Blade. 100t ATAFR, 1" Arbor, .118 Kerf. $155. Well reviewed, reasonable price point, available, etc. Will come back once installed and zero'd in. See if that helps my calibration issue.
    For sure it will help make flat cuts so your calibration will be time well spent. Remember the glide is a good trim saw for cutting crown molding baseboard. For solid wood don’t expect it to be perfect there was a thread some years back. A woodworker was try I get perfect 45s on 8/4 Purple Heart. Unrealistic expectation for a trim saw.
    Good Luck
    Aj

I contacted Bosch. They basically confirmed, if the 90 detent is perfect and the 45s are off, you likely have a detent plate issue. There is no adjustment, short of filing, modding, etc. They are sending a new detent plate under warranty, part# 1609b04487. Still waiting for my new Tenryu saw blade to install and re-check before I swap out the detent plate, but nice to know the fix and that a part can be had.

Bosch Detent.jpg