Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So who fixes large power tools if the manufacturer won't?

In my small shop, I find myself doing things much in the same way as Brian. I have a box of necessary tools and small parts for each machine as near to the machine as possible. I also have a few shelves dedicated to normal wear parts, sanding rolls, discs, belts, blades, etc.
    I've also familiarized myself to the point where I know every inch of all my machines and their own specific needs.
    (I also always read the manual)

This can be a real problem. I know a lot on this forum have the time and inclination to dive right into a complicated piece of equipment and try to fix it. I have serviced and tended to my own equipment for decades, but when my wide belt threw a belt and shredded the infeed roller, I called in the experts. I own a full set of mechanics tools and have done my share of mechanical repairs on all sorts of equipment including major auto repair. But I am first and foremost a woodworker and know my limitations. I also do this for a living and it is not cost effective for me to start "experimenting" with my equipment. I was not about to dive into the wide belt and figure out the cause and attempt to repair it. This is one reason I don't deal with manufacturers in the first place who offer great value for their equipment, but when the s**t hits the fan, all they can offer is a bunch of parts and a pat on the ass, sending you on your way. I keep a list of professional machinery techs on file so that when an expensive and complicated machine goes down, I can bring in the experts. Over the long haul, this is more cost effective, not to mention keeping my antacid costs to a minimum. Furthermore, I try to buy equipment these techs can service in the first place.

while not so practical at one point I doubled up on tools and machines. This because I had a general planer that let me down several times when on tight deadlines. Taking the transmission apart to replace a shear pin was no fun. There are definitely reasons for approaching this in different ways depending. The better shops in Toronto had a guy that did set up and repair, more important made custom gizmos and modified tools to give them a leg up over other shops.

Blog Entries
    You may start to notice that a lot of solo craftsmen, or shops with a handful of people, often rapidly move from typical grade machinery to very heavy duty machinery once they become busy enough that constant maintenance of sheetmetal or light casting machines is too time consuming. One of the reasons for that move is that the really heavy stuff, especially before the age of electronic everything, does not come out of adjustment and doesn't break. They run for a very long time with minimal maintenance outside of normal oiling.

Compare that to modern machinery commonplace in their 'classical' lines, which is constantly wearing out and needing maintenance.

It would turn out that the modern interpretation of 'overbuilt' is actually properly built and the light stuff common everywhere now is much undersized for professional work.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    You may start to notice that a lot of solo craftsmen, or shops with a handful of people, often rapidly move from typical grade machinery to very heavy duty machinery once they become busy enough that constant maintenance of sheetmetal or light casting machines is too time consuming. One of the reasons for that move is that the really heavy stuff, especially before the age of electronic everything, does not come out of adjustment and doesn't break. They run for a very long time with minimal maintenance outside of normal oiling.

Compare that to modern machinery commonplace in their 'classical' lines, which is constantly wearing out and needing maintenance.

It would turn out that the modern interpretation of 'overbuilt' is actually properly built and the light stuff common everywhere now is much undersized for professional work.
    The tools you're referring to were designed and built to be maintained. Many newer tools, regardless of the claims, are simply designed/built to replace parts, plug and pray.
    Why grease bearings when you can just replace them? Why have a heavy cast iron base (which dampens destructive vibrations) when a light weight welded steel box will hold that tool just fine
    I won't even go into tearing down half a machine to replace a normal wear item, makes perfect sense.
    Last edited by Edward Weber; 04-09-2024 at 2:21 PM.

besides that is the joy of using a machine that has weight. The general jointer worked fine and still does but why use when a heavy smooth machine is more enjoyable to use. the old guy said look for three power lines when looking for a new shop. He always bought new but they dealt with him special as companies ran bought so much they likely could have given him machines. He was wrong as he didnt know about Rotos and I didnt know one of them close by had a roto so could have learned earlier but I didnt know at first. used can be complicated depending on who it came from. some could do a lot better job than they do in representing things but this is in all phases of life.

1950 2184 lb, 30" Thomas Robinson bandsaw.
    1950's 5,500 lb, Dean smith and Grace lathe in the background.

The first two photos are my bandsaw, the last photo is of the lower wheel spindle out of my brothers bandsaw, he stripped his down and repainted it.
    I have a few machines that are 70 years old and still going, they were built in a different time, with a different mindset.

SAM_6138.jpgSAM_6139.jpg LA Robinson (16).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    The tools you're referring to were designed and built to be maintained. Many newer tools, regardless of the claims, are simply designed/built to replace parts, plug and pray.
    Why grease bearings when you can just replace them? Why have a heavy cast iron base (which dampens destructive vibrations) when a light weight welded steel box will hold that tool just fine
    I won't even go into tearing down half a machine to replace a normal wear item, makes perfect sense.
    Not sure I buy this as a general thesis. I've worked on a number of old machines that were beyond awkward to disassemble and repair. Just finished restoring a 60 year old belt sander that had parts stuffed in so tightly around the motor in cabinet that was welded on three sides, so only one side could be opened. Getting the motor adjusted properly for the two belts was nightmarish. And the bearings? Pretty much had to take the machine down to a bucket of individual parts to replace the bearings on the driven shaft.

A quick check on Powermatic's website for service centers list several in the Tampa area who do in house and field repairs. I suspect if you called them they would come out and work on Grizzly equipment for the standard hourly rate since a number of the tools sold by both brands come from the same factory.

I'll take sealed, non-serviceable, bearings and having to replace them once for every 8th time I'd have to clean and repack non-sealed bearings.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    Not sure I buy this as a general thesis. I've worked on a number of old machines that were beyond awkward to disassemble and repair. Just finished restoring a 60 year old belt sander that had parts stuffed in so tightly around the motor in cabinet that was welded on three sides, so only one side could be opened. Getting the motor adjusted properly for the two belts was nightmarish. And the bearings? Pretty much had to take the machine down to a bucket of individual parts to replace the bearings on the driven shaft.
    I never meant to imply that ALL old tools are better in respect to ease of the maintenance. Not everything is better just because it's old.
    Just IME, most are better thought out in terms of foreseeable maintenance than they seem to be today.
    Even if you need to dismantle the whole thing, chances are everything will fit back together tha same as it did, not always the case with sheet metal machines.

JPW (Powermatic/Jet) allegedly have companies who are available for warranty service onsite. However, the owner of the company in my northern Illinois area is aging and has decided to go out of business; probably not to be taken over by another. JPW was extremely helpful when I encountered a fairly simple warranty repair and the problem was resolved by an onsite service tech. Since then, JPW has referred me to a company that was supposed to be an authorized service company in Wisconsin. However, that guy doesn't know anything about Powermatice tools and has provided no information and certainly no actual service. I think the type of warranty service I got is a thing of the past for all power tool companies; for sure for small and home woodworking shops.

I would agree that, for relatively simple repairs, doing them myself is the best course of action. However, for more complex repairs or troubleshooting to determine what part or work is required, it would be difficult without technical assistance to do the work. I'm just not a mechanic and, for the first 40 years I've been a woodworker, technical support and even service were much more available. I'm just a woodworker who knows how to use my tools.

Not much information in my post. It's more just a commentary. If I were to begin woodworking now, I might think more seriously about keeping my woodworking tools to smaller, simpler, and lessepensive tools. I've been very lucky that nothing serious has gone wrong with the expensive larger power tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I never meant to imply that ALL old tools are better in respect to ease of the maintenance. Not everything is better just because it's old.
    Just IME, most are better thought out in terms of foreseeable maintenance than they seem to be today.
    Even if you need to dismantle the whole thing, chances are everything will fit back together tha same as it did, not always the case with sheet metal machines.
    Of course, there is the possibility of the perception of older tools being better made because the ones that actually lasted this long were better made. And the ones that were junk back then were all thrown away. In seventy years, they might be making the same complaint, that tools "today" aren't made to last like tools from the 2020's.

Blog Entries
    I’m writing in generalities, but referring mainly to machinery built for industry. The stuff produced by manufacturers like Northfeild, Porter, Yates, Whitney, Wadkin, Robinson, Martin, Marunaka, etc. Very heavy, built to last and be maintained.

I see the comparison first hand with shops near me who have equipment from the typical hobby shop places. Once you start using it all the time, it breaks and comes out of adjustment.

I don’t think this has anything to do with romanticizing a time period, it’s from experience of using this equipment and noticing.

Light gauge weldments are cheaper to build and ship, they look cool and modern, but the resulting machine is louder, flimsier and does not hold up as well.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

read my mind. 30 other machines as well. They made machines for the trade and then later consumer and designer hobby stuff. Hobby people spend money look at any hobby. They saw a market or made one. Think it was the buildaburgers.

i had to start on general and for years before I found out I could have three phase and another level. My SCM is on its second generation with me and its like it was other than wear on tables and I bet more true than some new stuff. There were more SCM machines in toronto shop than any other brands. Likely the best bang for the buck. Buick level. Cooper and Horton sold massive amount of machinery.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 04-09-2024 at 6:57 PM.