Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tormek ... Gimmick?

Very informative thread, thanks.
    I don't know if it answered the OP's question or not but it answered many of mine.

I already mentioned I have and use one but I failed to mention that I use a 400 grit cbn wheel on mine. If I had to deal with filling and draining it, I would have sold it and made do.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I guarantee there are things you can do on a Tormek that cannot be done on a regular bench grinder or sharpening stones.
    What are they, besides grinding planer blades?
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-10-2024 at 4:53 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Blog Entries
    I paid for mine with a job... I guess I could go either way on it at the end of the day. Most or all of the tools I buy make me money. This one, however, is pretty inefficient at money back.. maybe my most inefficient / worst purchase? But when I get a nick in a chisel or hand plane blade it is nice to have a machine to quickly re-bevel. I have a few Japanese stones that I use much more often for maintenance, but they would be a time suck if I had to fix a nick or gouge in a blade with hand pressure and a stone. So for me, it was a purchase to help me get past down time. Maybe I should go w/ dry grinding and sell it as many of you seem to do.

It works really well w/ my "cheap" chisels.. my first set of chisels for a birthday back when I was like 20? The ones with blue plastic handles.. can't remember the brand. They are softer than quality chisels and I use them for everything. They get nicks and gouges a lot from hitting 18g nails, etc. A quick re-sharpen / re-shape on the Tormek and that's good enough.

It also works well with kitchen knives

At some point, I'll have to get the jig to help w/ jointer blades.
    Last edited by andrew whicker; 04-10-2024 at 10:16 AM.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Andrew, are you referring to the blue handled Marples? I still have my set of 4 (they were my first "real" chisels). The ones with the little white ring around the ferrule were made with very good steel and hold an edge well (I believe they were O1 but not 100% on that, maybe W1 but I don't think so) - I also like the length of the blades. The ones with the little black ring around the ferrule used much lower quality steel and don't really hold an edge.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    I paid for mine with a job... I guess I could go either way on it at the end of the day. Most or all of the tools I buy make me money. This one, however, is pretty inefficient at money back.. maybe my most inefficient / worst purchase? But when I get a nick in a chisel or hand plane blade it is nice to have a machine to quickly re-bevel. I have a few Japanese stones that I use much more often for maintenance, but they would be a time suck if I had to fix a nick or gouge in a blade with hand pressure and a stone. So for me, it was a purchase to help me get past down time. Maybe I should go w/ dry grinding and sell it as many of you seem to do.

It works really well w/ my "cheap" chisels.. my first set of chisels for a birthday back when I was like 20? The ones with blue plastic handles.. can't remember the brand. They are softer than quality chisels and I use them for everything. They get nicks and gouges a lot from hitting 18g nails, etc. A quick re-sharpen / re-shape on the Tormek and that's good enough.

It also works well with kitchen knives

At some point, I'll have to get the jig to help w/ jointer blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I guarantee there are things you can do on a Tormek that cannot be done on a regular bench grinder or sharpening stones.
    What are they, besides grinding planer blades?
    One advantage the Tormek has over regular bench grinding is tools can be ground away or in. The slow removal of steel using a stone is exactly what needed to grind v gouges for carvings especially small ones.
    hollow grinding A2 plane blades is by far the best way to sharpen especially if a edge is heavily worn.
    For wood turning a negative rake scraper for the cleaning up the bottom of a bowl can be done on a Tormek that’s different then a bench grinder. The tool is ground away and the little burr that’s left make a nice clean cutting edge.
    Im on my second Tormek I wore out the 2000 model but repurposed it as a buffer.
    Here’s some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-10-2024 at 4:54 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging
    Aj

One advantage the Tormek has over regular bench grinding is tools can be ground away or in. The slow removal of steel using a stone is exactly what needed to grind v gouges for carvings especially small ones.
    hollow grinding A2 plane blades is by far the best way to sharpen especially if a edge is heavily worn.
    For wood turning a negative rake scraper for the cleaning up the bottom of a bowl can be done on a Tormek that’s different then a bench grinder. The tool is ground away and the little burr that’s left make a nice clean cutting edge.
    Im on my second Tormek I wore out the 2000 model but repurposed it as a buffer.
    Here’s some pics.
    I do all those things using a light touch on a slow speed (1040rpm) grinder with a cbn wheel and a felt buffing wheel on another bench grinder. The Tormek is a good machine with high quality jigs that makes it impossible to burn an edge, but I am happy with bench grinders, bench stones, a strop and a few handheld slips and hones. To each his own. I will say my adoption of cbn wheels was a gamechanger.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-10-2024 at 4:55 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

I felt like I should have been more clear about grinding away and into. Not to you Kevin I believe you understand.
    This is for the one passing by and reading maybe not understanding. The Tormek has 2 tool rest one on top and one in the front the wheel turns away from the front rest unlike a bench grinder.
    It’s my belief that more people would pursue wood carvings if they could keep carving tools sharp including small knives.
    When I belonged to a woodcarving group this was the main problem.
    Small v gouges are very difficult to sharpen if the edge gets damaged.
    I don’t believe it can be resurrected on a cbn wheel. It’s something that needs to happen if a woodworker wants to carve woods harder then basswood or cotton wood bark.
    Sharpening my wood carvings gouges was the main reason I bought my Tormek. I do use for kitchen knives and jointer knives.
    Good Luck
    Aj

If you are focussing on plane blades and bench chisels, and reasonably experienced, then an 8" half-speed bench grinder with an 180 grit CBN wheel is your better choice. Even more so if you use the Tormek BGM-100 tool rest with it. This is a fast working system with all the accuracy and flexibility of the slow Tormek.

This system replaced a Tormek. The Tormek was the only game in town 15+ years ago. Then CBN wheels became better known outside turning circles, and the Tormek lost ground. Its only advantge was the tool rest, and they sell this as an accessory, so it is no longer a unique product. The irony is that Tormek went to CBN and Diamond wheels, but the reason for their slow grinding speed was that this was as fast as one could work when the wheel is immersed in water. Water is terrific for keeping down dust, and there is an advantage here when working in some environment. However, the CBN wheel is great at dust reduction. Adding a CBN wheel to a Tormek is missing the point, and still too much like lipstick on a pig.

Regards from Perth (currently hiking around Wellington, New Zealand)

Derek

After seeing Derek’s setup that looks very interesting and appealing. Derek you always have nice setups
    I realized something about the Tormek that’s not talked about.
    The Tormek is superbly portable in less then one minute I can have all my attachments with the machine is my truck ready to go. I can do all the same precision sharpening that I do in my shop anywhere there’s a outlet.
    I remember one Christmas I bought my 2000 unit to a Christmas party and sharpened up at least a dozen knives.
    Last year i fixed a expensive shun chefs knife for my daughter in law. Her boyfriend at the time use it to chop pot stems and chipped the blade badly.
    Careful deliberate precision I used the black stone on my Tormek with only minimal loss to the knife. These are the victories that earn the biggest points with my wife and in-laws.
    Good Luck
    Aj

[QUOTE=Andrew Hughes;3311617It’s my belief that more people would pursue wood carvings if they could keep carving tools sharp including small knives.
    When I belonged to a woodcarving group this was the main problem.
    Small v gouges are very difficult to sharpen if the edge gets damaged.
    I don’t believe it can be resurrected on a cbn wheel. It’s something that needs to happen if a woodworker wants to carve woods harder then basswood or cotton wood bark.
    [/QUOTE]

It does take care but can be managed. I hold the tools at a right angle to the wheel face to get a flat grind, using a very light touch and following with a fine diamond stone on the outside and a slipstone on the inside before buffing. A 600# wheel helps to slow the action. Once the shape is established buffing should suffice to keep the carving tools sharp for a long time. I would say a Tormek has the advantage of slow speed so you can't screw up as fast, but no matter the process shaping small carving tools requires some finesse.