Thread: Looking for Advice - Entry Level Laser Engraver

Looking for Advice - Entry Level Laser Engraver

Hi all,

I have been Googling for an entry level engraver - I don't need to cut - I just want to add some logos, letters, etc. to my wood projects. The first project I'd like to do is for a local charity - making beef flights for a beer fest. These are wooden boards with drilled recesses to hold sample sized glasses for beer. I'd like to be able to add "Beer Fest 2024" and maybe a logo to these boards.

I have been looking at the LaserPecker entry level system and saw some significant adverse opinions on the LaserPecker here in prior messages.

I have also been looking at some of the other entry level machines and they all seem to be marketing pieces rather than objective reviews.

As I said the first project is for 100 of these beer flights - and I am looking for a reality check on how much I need to be spending and what is a good system to dip my toe in the water with? I'd like to keep my initial investment under $500 if possible - but if that is just a non-starter I'd rather know that now and go talk to the boss to see if she will approve a budget increase. Pay once, cry once.

Thanks
    Martin

A 10 watt laser engraver is going to be more than $500. You also need software, air source, fume exhaust, etc. Also, it will take a bit of time to learn how to use it and the best setting fir a project. It is really not just a plug and play.

I have a Laserpecker and it works fine for what you described.
    I have the LP1 pro, it's pretty basic but can be used anywhere. It's small and portable and works good for burning logos and images.
    It's not super fast depending on what you're doing, so 100 of anything may take some time.
    I could do a test and tell you how long it takes if you want

Ortur lasermaster 3 is $399 for 10 watt

https://ortur.net/

I have an Ortur LM3 and it works fine, NOW. I had no end of problems with bad parts requiring the to ship from China. It took more than 3 months to get the right parts.

Once I got all the parts and put it together, it works well.

They also let go the one guy who gave terrific tech support.

Understand that there are other things you need to buy to make it functional and do not forget fume exhaust unless using it outside.

Thanks for the feedback.

After a lot of dithering I decided to buy the Ortur. It has shipped and I look forward to the steep learning curve.

Congrats, please let us know how you like it

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Spence View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

After a lot of dithering I decided to buy the Ortur. It has shipped and I look forward to the steep learning curve.
    I bought it to complete a christmas gift. It only took an hour before I got it to make noise. I downloaded lightburn and used the free trial to calibrate machine and setup a job. after that I changed the name it was engraving 30 times. I have not gotten back to using it though ive been pretty busy elsewhere in the shop.

you can get a 40 watt co2 for under 500 and way better then a diode
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander