Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woodpeckers MagQuick Dust Port

If you twist and the alternating magnets repel each other, maybe that makes it easier to disconnect. I don’t find it problematic at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Why alternate N & S poles? Why not put all N on the hose end and all S on the machine end?
    Because they are 100% interchangeable; I don't have to label my spares as N or S (hose or machine, whatever).
    I make them all the same, toss them in a box and just pull one out when I want to make a new connection.
    It will always "mate to" another port.
    Also what Todd said about the disconnecting, but that is a secondary benefit.
    (And I didn't even know that it was a benefit until I was playing around with connecting and disconnecting a pair; "Hey, that's pretty cool," I remember thinking. )
    The main benefit is not having to check that I have the correct polarity port for whatever application I'm setting up.
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 04-17-2024 at 2:52 PM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Those are great adapters that you made. I was surprised that the magnets are only 1/4" in diameter. I assume you used the N52 magnets??? How strong is the connection ??

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Those are great adapters that you made. I was surprised that the magnets are only 1/4" in diameter. I assume you used the N52 magnets??? How strong is the connection ??

Thank you Frank

Pull force is at least 3lbs, probably more. See the attached info.
    The ports are used as in "Case 3"...max pull. However they are not touching; maybe 1mm between a mated pair. That space reduces the pull a little (inverse square law).
    So maybe 15 lbs with all 6 pairs. (I haven't done the math).
    That's still a lot of pull weight. I got the edge of my finger caught between the flanges and got a blood blister. (Icky )

My hands are getting a bit arthritic.. not too bad, but you know it's not going to get any better over time.
    So I made the flanges easily "grippable" to twist off. They still require some effort.
    You XY types are stronger and have bigger hands, so you could use the N52 ones with no problem.
    But the N42 ones seem to work just fine...no leaks.

D43-N42 vs D43-N52 magnet.jpgD43-N42 magnet .jpgMagnet Pull Force.jpg
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 04-17-2024 at 2:03 PM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”