Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lots of holes...wrong piece of tooling. "D'oh!!"

Lots of holes...wrong piece of tooling. "D'oh!!"

Being in a hurry can bite...especially when a 5mm tool and a .25" tool look very similar at first glance and both are being used in the same cutting file. 'Cut a 'poop-ton' of slide mounting holes on the 32 mm system today for a second set of storage units for Systainers and that quick glance cost me some time and effort. Filling that same "poop=ton" of holes with resin via a syringe so they can be recut tomorrow with the correct piece of tooling was not a fun task! I'm usually very careful about this but got distracted with having to run out to pick up our daughter and, well...screwed up. In the immortal words of Homer Simpson:

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Awh nuts! Sorry about that Jim. I don't have any metric tooling so I'd avoid that one, but my Homer moment was not actually remembering to clamp the workpiece down in any way. That went well for about 3 seconds....

well. want to talk screw up and repair.... used scrap walnut for repair so will see it every time use the cnc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by eugene thomas; 04-11-2024 at 5:08 AM.

Oh I've never done something so stupid! Well, maybe. OK, yes, I have, and more than once. And the more time you've already put into the piece the more it hurts.

Thanks for posting that, Jim. I'm happy to know I'm not the only one. Sorry, Eugene, spoilboard boo-boo's don't count. But you get honorable mention for the high-end repair. I just slather Bondo into the bad ones, and ignore the minor ones. I have the profile of two Telecasters in mine at the moment. And I don't play.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    Awh nuts! Sorry about that Jim. I don't have any metric tooling so I'd avoid that one, but my Homer moment was not actually remembering to clamp the workpiece down in any way. That went well for about 3 seconds....
    The 32mm system holes for drawer slides need to be at 5mm to support the special low-profile screws. The tool's "business end" is 5mm, but this particular one has a .25" shank as all my collets are "Imperial".

All of my "tiny" tooling is metric because it's easiest source it that way, and I've inadvertently put a 1.5mm tool in when it should have been a 1mm tool, um...once or twice. This is always when both are being used in a project and I simply am not paying enough attention when the machine calls for a tool change. While I design and build in metric, most of my CNC tooling is in inch form as are my collets as I mentioned previously. The "tiny" cutters all use a .125" collet which is certainly convenient.

-----

On hold-down, this is the first project I used just the composite brads to hold down the material and it was awesome. The particular radiata pine plywood I'm using for this project didn't fight the nails so they sunk perfectly and that sheet wasn't going anywhere. I'll be mentioning that in the build thread that will come.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-11-2024 at 10:21 AM.
    --

I had a 5/16" endmill new from its tube. Part didn't come out quite right. Turned out to be ground to 11/32".

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    I had a 5/16" endmill new from its tube. Part didn't come out quite right. Turned out to be ground to 11/32".
    That bites, Wes. I'm sure you had some "kind words" for the tooling manufacturer!!!

------

The resin fix worked out just fine. I did need to turn down the RPM on the 5mm tool for the redo because cutting into the resin would have gotten pretty "sticky" from friction. 7K RPM worked out nicely for good, clean holes. I didn't make the same mistake on the additional cabinet parts I cut this afternoon!!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    I have had them go the other way right out of the tube

As noted, the fix worked fine. For a few holes that magically were not fully filled with the resin (likely migrated into the plywood), a little hot glue took care of things. While I would absolutely remake the panels if this was work for someone else or in something for my own home that would be visible, the fill and re-drill fix was just fine for this shop project.

Holes.jpg
    --

That was a pretty clever fix. Did it only happen on one part so you didn't have to worry about repositioning or did you setup a fixture and have to fix several pieces?

That was a pretty clever fix. Did it only happen on one part so you didn't have to worry about repositioning or did you setup a fixture and have to fix several pieces?
    Sadly, three panels...so one complete cabinet and one half. But the recovery worked just fine and I slapped myself up-side my head to insure I don't make that mistake again. I always try to make a different mistake...

Sneak peak of the project...

SystainerRack.jpg
    --

Looking forward to it! Maybe even some CAD files I can copy

Looking forward to it! Maybe even some CAD files I can copy
    If you use Aspire 11.5x or greater, I can send you the files. PM me your email. You'll just need to change your post processor and tweak for your tooling and material, etc. I'm setting them on a simple 100mm tall plinth/ladder to get them up off the floor. Using scraps for that.
    --

Late to the party again. Been there, done that too, Jim. Nice save. The cabinet looks really good. FWIW, when I have mis-drilled, I plug the holes with dowels, flush cut them off and re-drill. Just another way to skin the cat. (I do the same thing to fill holes in my spoilboard that I drilled for two-sided projects.)

I would really like to read more about your experience with composite nails. I keep looking at the gun and the nails, but the price point has always deterred me from jumping in.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    Late to the party again. Been there, done that too, Jim. Nice save. The cabinet looks really good. FWIW, when I have mis-drilled, I plug the holes with dowels, flush cut them off and re-drill. Just another way to skin the cat. (I do the same thing to fill holes in my spoilboard that I drilled for two-sided projects.)

I would really like to read more about your experience with composite nails. I keep looking at the gun and the nails, but the price point has always deterred me from jumping in.
    I didn't have any dowel stock appropriate for the need but do have a good quantity of Total Boat resin, so that's what I went with. Since the issue was near the end of the day, letting it cure overnight wasn't an issue and the workpieces were left on the machine so I could just re-run the drilling toolpath array the next day with the correct cutter.

The composite nails work really well as long as the material being used isn't "too hard". This plywood was great I don't think I'd have issue with most sheet goods, but for solid stock, I'll use other methods including the hot glue gun I recently added to the mix. As to price point...I opted for an alternative brand off Amazon after it was mentioned by one of the content creators I follow on the 'Tube. (I don't recall whom at this point) Here's a link to that Spotnails brand gun, currently priced at $166...their media is also available there. Made in Taiwan.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    --