Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Green turning Douglas fir

For me, the most effective way of reducing tearout of this type is by shear scraping with a bowl gouge. I find it avoids tearout better than any bevel supported cut I'm able to produce no matter how sharp the gouge. If you're not familiar, there are several videos out there, such as this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDIvtr7StuA

I saw another shear scraping video on the "turn a wood bowl" channel that I did not think showed things very well, his cutting edge was too far toward horizontal and his cuts too heavy. You want to do this right after sharpening, use a very high shear angle, and take whisper thin cuts. Because you're not removing much wood, you want to get as clean a cut as possible from other cuts before using the shear scrape.

Here's a Doug fir sphere I made showing the endgrain side. The white specs are dust, not tearout. I was probably helped by it being dry, and by the growth rings being close together.

IMG_20210102_152602867~2.jpg

Best,

Dave

Thanks Dave,good video,much appreciated.
    I do use sharp chisels and sheer scraping.I have more expermenting to do.
    Unfortunately unable to view your image.

You need to be a Contributor to see the pictures and also get other benefits. Click on the Donate button to see the details. Contributions can be as little as $6 per year.