Thread: Delta Jointer Cutter Head

Delta Jointer Cutter Head

I am retired and have more time than money. I took on the project of making an exterior door for my son’s home. After buying the 2 inch white oak lumber at the Amish sawmill, I had it sent to the Amish kiln. Surprisingly, the boards cupped while stickered in my workshop in the months after drying. I sent the blades from my Delta jointer out to be sharpened. On the third pass of the first board, one of the knives came loose and fractured against the infeed table. The cutterhead was bent by the impact.
    I looked on the internet for a used cutterhead. My Delta 37-315 8 inch jointer is over 50 years old. Parts that old are scarce. I checked on Ebay and a few woodworker websites, but could not find one. I determined that if I had the budget, I would buy a helical cutterhead due to improved performance and speed of setting the knives. The best value I found is at WGM Toolworks in Houston. I reached out to them to see if they could help me contact one of their customers to see if the obsoleted original cutterhead they replaced might be for sale.

Instead, Christmas came in April. WGM Toolworks had an original cutterhead which they no longer needed. They gave it to me and paid for the shipping to my home in Ohio. Communications have been very prompt and focused on my needs. My project will advance thanks to their care and generosity.

You may think that woodworkers are unselfish and kind. This is an excellent example supporting that belief. There is no doubt that when I upgrade to the helical cutter, it will be from WGM. They have been in business since 2015 and have the equipment, talent and desire to supply quality parts at very good prices.

Dennis,

Send me an email to sales@holbren.com and I'll check with customers of mine that bought a Byrd head and see if they want to sell/give you their original head. In the email let me know where you are located and I'll see if I can find someone close. It's a popular model so don't expect any issues finding you one.

That was a good first post, Dennis!

8/4 white oak is incredibly hard to dry. Cupping is no surprise to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    That was a good first post, Dennis!
    What he said.........