Thread: It happened again, cheap bedrock

It happened again, cheap bedrock

I really thought when I found my 604 for $5 , it was a once in a lifetime ordeal. That was only last year fyi.

Well there was a little sale happening in south Brooklyn near Brighton beach so decided to stroll down as I saw they had a Hammond Trim o saw listed. Got that for $150. For another $150 I got two no4s, a knuckle cap block plane, woodie jack plane, no3 in decent shape, no5 in bad shape, and this beautiful 608. Japaning like 85%. Sharpened the iron and already lightyears beyond my current jointer. The mass is so significant.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    A gloat worthy find for sure.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A gloat worthy find for sure.
    jtk
    Yes, apologies for the gloat. I just was/am thrilled. Going back tomorrow, should be more goodiesw.

Chuck,

I would love to see photos of your Hammond Glider. You are very lucky!

Regards,

Phil

And they call ME a Bandit? Hmm, may need to expand MY hunting grounds, I guess..
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Does it have the grooves in the bottom to reduce friction?
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Glover View Post
    Chuck,

I would love to see photos of your Hammond Glider. You are very lucky!

Regards,

Phil
    Well I feel bad posting a power tool here, but here’s a couple snaps. Got it mostly cleaned up, hopefully buy some belts today. Its gonna be a great asset to the shop. It’s gonna be a great way to cut tenons and small parts.
    IMG_7495.jpgIMG_7494.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Does it have the grooves in the bottom to reduce friction?

No it doesn’t. I don’t own any planes with grooves in them. Its a bit of a turn off for me. I keep the soles clean and waxed and have no friction issues.

I think grooves in the bottom of planes are kinda cool and interesting reminds me of my favorite Japanese chisels. You are correct they probably don’t have less friction. My lie Neilson foreplane doesn’t have them. My vintage no 6 is the same size and has them the only difference the no 6 is much lighter.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I think grooves in the bottom of planes are kinda cool and interesting reminds me of my favorite Japanese chisels. You are correct they probably don’t have less friction. My lie Neilson foreplane doesn’t have them. My vintage no 6 is the same size and has them the only difference the no 6 is much lighter.
    Good Luck
    I get that! I’ve sometimes wonder how a no4 would work with the sole relieved to 2-3 points of contact like my Japanese planes. Good point about the weight, this thing be heavy.

The art deco grooves in the front of that glider saw though, ooo la la

I run about half and half...between the smooth soled and the "Groovy" soles....have yet to see any difference between the 2...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use