Thread: Track saw rail !!

Track saw rail !!

I would like to purchase a track saw rail to fit my Porter Cable circular saw. I really don't want to buy a saw and rail combo. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. If necessary to buy a saw and rails which would you recommend ?? I do not want a cordless saw. Thanks Mike O'Keefe

You can buy adapters:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=port...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Or even make one from plywood. If you want recommendations on buying a new tracksaw outfit, there are a lot of reviews on Youtube. I bought a cheap Grizzley years ago, works fine for breaking down sheet stock, but when it dies I will upgrade.

Mike, to use an existing circular saw with the same kind of track that most "track saws use", you'll need some form of adapter like Richard mentions. I will suggest that you consider the possibility of just buying a "fit for purpose" saw and track combination and keep the PC saw for utility use when it's the right tool for the job. Track saws have some things designed in that make the combination of the saw and the track work really closely together in ways that potentially add some complexity when you deal with an adapter. And your current saw isn't really designed for the level of dust collection that a true track saw can provide because of how the case is designed. The good news is that there are many options available today that were not on the market only a few years ago, from budget tool makers like Wen and Grizzly all the way up through Kreg, Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Festool and Mafiel. Most use the same track format, although there are some features that the higher end brands offer. DeWalt's product is bi-directional. Kreg's has the blade on the left, rather than the right. Milwaukee is battery only. Pick your poison.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Track saw rails are made specifically for track saws, and other than using it for a straight edge to run your saw against, it would be nearly impossible to use a standard circular that is guided by the rails.
    Plywood shop made guide rails are easy to make; your first cut against the side rail will make a perfect saw guide. After the first cut, you can place the cut edge on your measured mark and saw away.

I made my first rail about 30 years ago. Take a piece of 1/4" plywood, and fasten a piece of 3/4" plywood on top. Mount the 3/4" plywood so your saw will trim the 1/4" base.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxO1rczieLg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O'Keefe View Post
    I would like to purchase a track saw rail to fit my Porter Cable circular saw. I really don't want to buy a saw and rail combo. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. If necessary to buy a saw and rails which would you recommend ?? I do not want a cordless saw. Thanks Mike O'Keefe
    Any guide rail system can be used for a standard circular saw. You just need to make a carrier board for your saw.
    You will lose some depth of cut, the thickness of the material you use to make the carrier board, and you may negate the anti chip feature, but a roll of painters tape has been used for decades to to perform this function. The plunge function is also gone, but there are ways around that.
    Get a small piece of pre finished Baltic Birch ply, like the type that Woodcraft sell. Cut it about 2" longer than your circular saw base, and an inch or two wider. Trim off a piece the width of the distance from the edge of the guide rail to the center "track" extrusion.Lay the two piece on the track on both sides of the extrusion. Center your saw and mark it so that the blade is parrallel to the edge guide. Drill holes and mount. You could probably also use double sided tape to locate it temporarily while you align everything and drill holes.
    Look at some pictures of the old EZ Smart system guide rails and the saw carrier bases for the system. You're replicating that, but for a different system
    There should be some extra length in front of and behind your saw plate. Take a small piece of material and connect across the width to tie the front, back, and sides into a rigid form.
    If you're careful in your measurements, you will retain the anti chip feature.
    If you have a table saw it will take 10 minutes to make one.
    I once put a 10" circular saw on a set of Festool guide rails.It's not difficult.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I made my first rail about 30 years ago. Take a piece of 1/4" plywood, and fasten a piece of 3/4" plywood on top. Mount the 3/4" plywood so your saw will trim the 1/4" base.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxO1rczieLg
    If I were adapting a non-track saw to a track, this is the method I would use. It meets 80% of the track saw functionality at a very reasonable entry cost.

Thanks for the replies. I should have been more specific. I was looking at the tracks that come with a universal base for you circular saw. I see the Kreg Accu cut xl had some descent reviews. I was wondering if any of you guys had purchased something similar. Thanks