Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife doesn't like the look of the screw behind new doorbell camera

Wife doesn't like the look of the screw behind new doorbell camera

Had a doorbell camera installed. Wife not happy about the sight of the screw coming out the rear of the unit. Can't say I blame her. Fortunately I didn't instsall it. Best way to cover it? Was thinking of placing some expanding foam in there. shape it then paint it. Or could a triangular piece of custom fitted wood be slippe d in there and glued to place? Whar would you do? Might be a reason to buy one of those shape duplicating guides. Any advice which will help me do something a wife would accept will be greatly appreciated.

Unknown.jpg
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

Foam backing rod with 1/8" of white Silicone caulking.
    Ron

Whatever you do, keep in mind that you may need to remove the camera at some time in the future if it malfunctions. What height is it at? I would expect it to be above head height so you would never see the screw. How about a little rubber ducky sitting on top?

I like both those ideas, or for the more classic look I would suggest a small but tasteful artificial flower.

Cut a piece of wood to fill the gap and just wedge it in. Second option is to raise it up so she can't see behind it. You don't want kids ringing it anyway!

Yup, looks like crap. You need to remove and mount a block behind. Paint or use a piece of PVC to match trim and say ‘honey you’re right’.

Rubber spider, baby duck,
    BillD

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle or Transformer Action figure.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Cut a piece of wood to fill the gap and just wedge it in.
    This what I would do. Make sure the block goes full length or you will likely make a home for spiders behind your camera which then they may give you false activations of your camera.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I think I'd just try some white paint on the screw and see if that made it blend in better.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

You could just flood it with caulk. Twice. It's going to sink in because it's a large area so hit it a second time the next day or day after...

That said, I installed a ring not too long ago and some kid that was soliciting landscape work pressed it so hard that it smashed the button... this was day 2 after install. I should have grabbed a business card or something but I had no need so I just said no thanks. It wasn't until later in the afternoon that I noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Cut a piece of wood to fill the gap and just wedge it in. Second option is to raise it up so she can't see behind it. You don't want kids ringing it anyway!
    The first option would be my choice I think. Remove the door bell, cut and shape a triangular piece of wood. Mount the door bell to the triangular piece of wood but make it as small as practical so it looks like part of the door bell assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    You could just flood it with caulk. Twice. It's going to sink in because it's a large area so hit it a second time the next day or day after...

That said, I installed a ring not too long ago and some kid that was soliciting landscape work pressed it so hard that it smashed the button... this was day 2 after install. I should have grabbed a business card or something but I had no need so I just said no thanks. It wasn't until later in the afternoon that I noticed.
    As mentioned above by Ron Selzer - they make foam backing rods that you stuff into wide cracks to give the caulk some added support.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Oh, not knocking it, just perspicacity wouldn't go out of my way to buy something else when I have a perfectly good tube of caulk (or 5) just sitting in a bin that'll work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    As mentioned above by Ron Selzer - they make foam backing rods that you stuff into wide cracks to give the caulk some added support.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Oh, not knocking it, just perspicacity wouldn't go out of my way to buy something else when I have a perfectly good tube of caulk (or 5) just sitting in a bin that'll work just fine.
    Caulk is only supposed to span a 1/4" wide space.
    I've tried to plug a hole about an inch in diameter.
    The caulk just fell out after about a month.