Thread: Mahogany Wall cabinet

Blog Entries

Mahogany Wall cabinet

We live in the Empty Nester house now and the Boss has made it very clear we have no more room for any furniture etc. Therefore much of the stuff I make is smaller these days so it can be shipped more readily to buyers on Etsy. I don't really sell much, my office is now "warehouse" for unsold items, but at least I have some "place" to put the things I make (even if that place is the internet!). At least I to still get to make things I like, even if I'm fooling myself that I have some place to put them when their done!.

This is mahogany wall cabinet, purpleheart trim and vertical grain Doug Fir back. I like the hand tool tasks in this project: T&G shiplap back, DT drawers with cock beading, Mouldings done with H&R's and carved pulls. No one else probably notices these details but that doesn't matter to me because my whole purpose is to enjoy the building process!

My current goal is to quite making the doors and drawers fit so tight just because I like creating that precision- people like drawers /doors that open freely- who knew?

Thanks for looking, Mike

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Allen1010; 04-14-2024 at 1:49 PM.

MORE great stuff ! Mike , I think some have fixed that ‘kickback’ by drilling a hole in the back of the case, That makes for air
    de-compression. I’ve seen it in old furniture.

Nicely done Mike. I appreciate all the hand work, especially the moldings. It is almost a lost art. I still do not have a router, although when faced with handplane finishing a large table for my neice, I purchased a belt sander. Feel a bit guilty but my back thanked me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Nicely done Mike. I appreciate all the hand work, especially the moldings. It is almost a lost art. I still do not have a router, although when faced with handplane finishing a large table for my neice, I purchased a belt sander. Feel a bit guilty but my back thanked me.
    Thanks Mark. I appreciate the power of electrons more and more as I get older. I try to stick to softer, hand tool friendly woods. I don’t think I have the muscle to make stuff out of hard maple like I did back in the day.

Those pulls are awesome Mike, well done.

Love the case and your workmanship, Mike. Sorry, but IMO the prison window grid and the purpleheart detract from an otherwise great piece.

John

Blog Entries
    Lovely! Mahogany is one of my favorite woods. Your workmanship shows it off well.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Love the case and your workmanship, Mike. Sorry, but IMO the prison window grid and the purpleheart detract from an otherwise great piece.

John
    No worries John, I appreciate your feedback. I'm not really sold on the combination either. Sometimes I try something new just for the sake of variety, when I would be better off going with the tried and true. What wood do you think would combine well with Mahogany?